Differentiating between West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Rail

Brandon Randle

Jan 7, 2018, 3:07:31 PM1/7/18
Hi all,

Just wondering if there was a 'correct' way to differentiate between West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Rail services from either the Darwin Push Port or the LDBWS?

Departure boards at stations all use the correct operator (WMR or LNWR), but both the DPP and LDBWS still give the TOC as 'LM'?
I saw that Trainline changed the name for both operators to "West Midlands Trains" for a brief period but have since switched it back to "London Midland". Even the National Rail Enquiries app just shows it as "West Midlands Trains".

It seems odd that the station departure boards get this information somehow but the DPP and LDBWS don't provide us with it (as far as I know?). From my own point of view it's confusing to have one operator listed in an app and a totally different operator on the departure board and the train livery...

How are others doing this? Is there a generally accepted 'right way'? Did I miss something?

Peter Hicks

Jan 7, 2018, 3:09:24 PM1/7/18
to Brandon Randle, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Brandon

The TOC code is still LM, but whether a service is branded WMR or LNWR depends on the train service code.

It might happen that, as with GTR and Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern, WMR get assigned separate ATOC codes for the train service codes of these services.  But for now, unless you have a list of which TSCs are WMR and LNWR branded, it may be safer to stick to what's in the Darwin reference data.

Peter

OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no. 09504022.
Registered office: 13a Davenant Road, Upper Holloway, London N19 3NW

Ben Bourton-Payne

Feb 21, 2018, 11:59:03 AM2/21/18
Hello

The TOC code should be changing to WM and LN from the May timetable.  The logic we are currently using for our CIS is:

If ORIGIN or DESTINATION = "EUS/LIV/CRE/NMP/BLY/MKC/TRI/WFJ/BDM/SAA" then the brand is LNR.  Otherwise, it's WMR.

Hope this helps until we get the TOC code changed in May.

thanks
Ben

smsm1

Aug 3, 2018, 9:26:46 AM8/3/18

Looks like the TOC code didn't change in May, and is still coming through as LM. Would anyone know when it's likely be updated?

Shaun

WantStuff

Aug 5, 2018, 2:24:18 PM8/5/18
Hi Shaun,

There’s a strong chance it will not change. Both train services are operated by London Midland so it is more likely to stay as LM.

Regards
Martin