Excluding advanced and upgrade tickets

James Smith

Nov 22, 2016, 5:57:37 PM11/22/16

Hi everyone,

I have been getting to grips with the fare data for a project I'm working on and have mostly got what I'm looking for. I want to exclude advanced and upgrade tickets from the data, I have figured out how to exclude the advanced tickets, however after searching on here and the internet I haven't found a way to identify the upgrade tickets.

I find it easier to work with an example and I have found brfares.com really useful:

When taking a trip from Bedford to Liverpool Stations there is a ticket in the data called "WUR  WKEND 1ST UPG R", which is an example of a ticket I would like to exclude. Looking at the data I have from the feed I thought I could identify upgrades by having anything other than "N" in the "PACKAGE_MKR" data from "Ticket type" in the specification, however this ticket has "N" in that field.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

James.

Marcus Young

Nov 23, 2016, 3:15:05 AM11/23/16
Assuming you are using the api, doesn't limiting to walkup category deal with this?

Marcus

Paul Kelly

Nov 23, 2016, 4:09:38 AM11/23/16
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
On 11/22/2016 10:57 PM, James Smith wrote:

> I have been getting to grips with the fare data for a project I'm
> working on and have mostly got what I'm looking for. I want to exclude
> advanced and upgrade tickets from the data, I have figured out how to
> exclude the advanced tickets, however after searching on here and the
> internet I haven't found a way to identify the upgrade tickets.

I don't think there is a way. In practice you just need to maintain a
whitelist/blacklist of allowed ticket types. It's just one of many
deficiencies in the data.

Paul

James Smith

Nov 23, 2016, 10:08:53 AM11/23/16
Thank you both for your reply.

I'm using the fare data set from http://data.atoc.org/, although the description of the category field from brfares has helped me to answer some other questions I had.

I had a suspicion that I would have to whitelist/blacklist them, thank you for the confirmation.

James.