Train Movements on Google Maps - Track Tracker (website)

John Strachan

Feb 23, 2018, 9:14:01 AM2/23/18
I've written an application which displays train locations on Google Maps, in real-time.

It uses the movement data feed from Network Rail.

The website is a bit rough, but demonstrates the principle.

The markers dynamically move on the map, as I get a train movement event from Network Rail.  Keep the browser open and watch the markers move, or see the events as text as they arrive from Network Rail at the bottom of the page.

Here is the link for London Northwestern and West Midlands (the only TOC enabled at the moment - filtered on TOC id 29):

It's written in GO and runs on Google Cloud Platform, and uses a publisher/subscriber pattern to send the movement events out to the browser immediately a movement event arrives.

It's just a bit of fun.  I've published the link on a few community forums and get positive comments back.  I'm not sure what to do with it, I think it's lacking a purpose - any suggestions welcome!