Which data feed for readable railcard names and descriptions?

Ian Bale

Jul 26, 2017, 2:28:44 PM7/26/17

RJFAF data (RLC) has the railcard data. However, the name is in a short form suitable for printing on a card, not one that you'd want to present to a user. There are also no proper descriptions.

Is there a data feed anywhere with this information?

Also, does anyone know of a sensible way to filter the huge list of railcards into something suitable for a drop-down list in a search form? Filter by physical card removes most of the dross, but it also removes GS3, and NGC which are ones we probably do want.

NRE Online Services

Jul 26, 2017, 4:33:57 PM7/26/17
There is a data set which contains a more customer friendly name for railcards which is available on demand to accredited TIS but has not yet made its way into open data - not for any political or commercial reason, simply a technical one. I'm sure at some point this data will be included in the open data set but unfortunately not at this moment. I've attached a copy along with the rules for determining which name to use in which circumstance.Obviously as a snapshot in time this copy won't reflect any changes in the way accredited TIS get a daily update; but as this data changes very infrequently it should still be useful.

In terms of a 'sensible' list - this is generally determined by the capability of the consuming system. For example different TIS support different railcards (particularly regional cards) depending whether they've implemented all the necessary rules that go with them. So in short, there isn't a 'definitive' list and users need to have some reference data for their system to identify which railcards it supports. You'll note the <OJPEnabled> flag in the attached which is used by NRE to determine their list - although as noted above, this shouldn't be seen as definitive, simply the railcards the NRE website currently supports.
discounts.PNG
RailcardsRefData.xml

Ian Bale

Jul 26, 2017, 4:52:32 PM7/26/17
Thank you for that. I do work for a 3rd party retailer with an accredited TIS. The problem is that there are so many data feeds distributed in different way that is is very hard to know what is out there are where it is located.

Can you tell me where this feed comes from? I presume iBlocks are distributing it?

Has anyone compiled a list of all the data feeds available and their locations? Such a list would be invaluable and should probably be maintained and published in Assist...

Peter Hicks

Jul 26, 2017, 5:01:09 PM7/26/17
to Ian Bale, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Ian

All the feeds should be (or are) documented on http://wiki.openraildata.com

Peter

NRE Online Services

Jul 27, 2017, 5:15:21 AM7/27/17
As an accredited TIS this is available from IDMS under rsp standard RSPS5044. Your organisation should have access to that under ASSIST.

Ian Bale

Aug 29, 2017, 4:29:38 PM8/29/17

I'm working for a company that supplies to a retailer, rather than the retailer itself. It's like pulling teeth getting anything from them - they seem clueless as to what is out there! Anyway, I have now sorted direct access to all [I think!] data feeds including all the IDMS data.