Pport Train Status Messages Interval

Chris Holly

Dec 4, 2016, 3:19:40 PM12/4/16
My understanding was that I would receive a train status update message for every train passing through each tiploc. From what I can tell this is not the case. Is anyone able to tell me what events trigger a Train Status update to be sent out?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Peter Hicks

Dec 4, 2016, 3:34:23 PM12/4/16
to Chris Holly, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Chris

An update to the status of a train (the TS element in the uR element of a Pport message) is sent whenever there's an update to a train's location, for example:

  * A forecast update, i.e. a change in the estimate
  * The 'delay' flag being set or cleared for a location or location(s)
  * An actual report, i.e. addition of an 'at' flag to the 'dep', 'arr' or 'pass' element under a Location

A location on a train may be updated several times, or not at all.  For example, trains between Watford Junction and St Albans Abbey cause reports to be sent on departure from Watford, on arrival and departure from Bricket Wood, and on arrival at St Albans Abbey.  The other stations have no equipment to report train arrivals or departures, so these are never updated.

Peter