Difficulties accessing NRE datafeed.

Mike Flynn

May 23, 2016, 7:42:25 AM5/23/16
Hi Peter, or anyone else who can help,

I'm having difficulty accessing my NRE datafeeds account.  I haven't used it for a while, maybe this is this issue?  But it's unclear what I need to do about it.  I don't want to register a 'new' account if I can help it.  I get

'Invalid Username/Password'

using my existing details.  When I click

'Forgotten your password?'

 link I get the unfortunately ambiguous

'If your email address is valid, you will receive an email with further instructions within the next 30 minutes.'

Needles to say, 2 hours later, I haven't received further instructions!  Is it Rockshore which manages these accounts?  And I contact them via here?  I must confess to be not exactly sure who to contact and never have been quite up-to-date as to who exactlly Rockshore is and their connection with NRE and/or NR.  I know (I think) there's no NRE open data service desk.  The help link on NRE Portal is to the Open Rail Wiki.  From here where to find out who to contact I don't know.

I had a similar post recently regarding my being on/not being on the NRE mailing list.  I'm still unclear and don't know whether they are connected or not.  It turned out I always was on the list and have since received mails.

Why I'm finding it so difficult I can't explain.  I apologise in advance if the answer is obvious and I'm missing something that i should really know and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.  Peter was able to do so last time :)

Peter Hicks

May 23, 2016, 8:18:56 AM5/23/16
to Mike Flynn, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Mike

On 23 May 2016, at 12:42, Mike Flynn <mi...@a1publishing.com> wrote:

> I'm having difficulty accessing my NRE datafeeds account. I haven't used it for a while, maybe this is this issue? But it's unclear what I need to do about it. I don't want to register a 'new' account if I can help it. I get
>
> 'Invalid Username/Password'
>
> using my existing details. When I click
>
> 'Forgotten your password?'
>
> link I get the unfortunately ambiguous
>
> 'If your email address is valid, you will receive an email with further instructions within the next 30 minutes.'
>
> Needles to say, 2 hours later, I haven't received further instructions!

Easy answer: sign up again. If your account hasn’t been used and has been deleted - as you pointed out a week or two back in the email you had - then you’ll need to create a new one.

Peter

signature.asc

Mike Flynn

May 23, 2016, 9:25:58 AM5/23/16
Thanks for replying, Peter.

The problem with setting up a new account is 1/ I'd like to know why or has my account been deleted and more importantly 2/ I have 'licences' for various feeds and it took me so long getting them it'd save everyone the time if my existing account could be re-activated or be made accessible again.  And why don't I get a reply about forgotten password? I will just have to contact NRE directly again.

Oh, it's all just so frustrating!

Cheers,
Mike

Peter Hicks

May 23, 2016, 9:38:24 AM5/23/16

On 23 May 2016, at 14:25, Mike Flynn <mi...@a1publishing.com> wrote:

> The problem with setting up a new account is 1/ I'd like to know why or has my account been deleted and more importantly 2/ I have 'licences' for various feeds and it took me so long getting them it'd save everyone the time if my existing account could be re-activated or be made accessible again. And why don't I get a reply about forgotten password? I will just have to contact NRE directly again.

Your account was deleted on datafeeds.nationalrail.co.uk because you didn’t use the feeds for (I think) either 30 or 100 days. You didn’t get an email when you clicked ‘Forgot password’ because your account doesn’t exist as it was deleted, rather than just being made inactive.

The NRE Data Feeds site is self-service, you can sign up without approval - it’s not like anyone has to manually approve anything.

Peter

signature.asc

Peter Hicks

May 23, 2016, 9:38:31 AM5/23/16
to Mike Flynn, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Mike

On 23 May 2016, at 14:25, Mike Flynn <mi...@a1publishing.com> wrote:

> The problem with setting up a new account is 1/ I'd like to know why or has my account been deleted and more importantly 2/ I have 'licences' for various feeds and it took me so long getting them it'd save everyone the time if my existing account could be re-activated or be made accessible again. And why don't I get a reply about forgotten password? I will just have to contact NRE directly again.

signature.asc

Peter Hicks

May 23, 2016, 9:38:45 AM5/23/16
to Mike Flynn, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Mike

On 23 May 2016, at 14:25, Mike Flynn <mi...@a1publishing.com> wrote:

> The problem with setting up a new account is 1/ I'd like to know why or has my account been deleted and more importantly 2/ I have 'licences' for various feeds and it took me so long getting them it'd save everyone the time if my existing account could be re-activated or be made accessible again. And why don't I get a reply about forgotten password? I will just have to contact NRE directly again.

signature.asc

Mike Flynn

May 23, 2016, 10:11:37 AM5/23/16
I'm able to explain a bit better now why I find it all so difficult.  Cause it is difficult!  Well to stay organised and pay attention it is I suppose.

Actually it shouldn't be that difficult.  So I have re-registered at NRE datafeeds and I see now it is indeed just self-service.  The XML feeds I mentioned, and which took me ages to get 'licensed' for is a separate matter.  I've just tried and been able to access at least one of the datasets, even though it's ages since I last tried, so that's okay.  The NRE mailing list is also separate.  No service desk, but good responses from this forum re queries.  Network Rail feed is a little different in that infrequent use sets the account 'inactive'.  And is an automatic and speedy process to re-activate.  Rockshore, now I'm guessing a bit, are managing the datafeeds or liaising for National Rail.  I think maybe for Netork Rail too.  Do I even need to know who Rockshore are other than they send email re the account rergistration/re-activation?  Do I get an email warning of pending account deletion though?

Anyway, is all not that important now, I have access to and subscribed to all I expect to be and no need to contact NRE directly.

Thanks again Peter.

Peter Hicks

May 23, 2016, 10:19:00 AM5/23/16
to Mike Flynn, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Mike

For the NRE Data Feeds platform, yes you did get an email warning of account deletion!  You even mentioned it on 12th May in this very forum:

1.png

Mike Flynn

May 23, 2016, 10:23:01 AM5/23/16
Oh, well spotted!  I absolutely see that, and remember it, now.  I promise to pay more attention from now on.

Cheers :)