Missing TD data

Peter Hicks

Mar 5, 2018, 2:31:53 AM3/5/18
to openraildata-talk
All,

Is anyone seeing missing TD data on NROD this morning?  I've had reports of many trains not stepping properly, and the message rate I'm getting in appears to be levelling off from around 0630 at about 25 operations/sec... I'm expecting a higher volume.

Peter

OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no. 09504022.
Registered office: 13a Davenant Road, Upper Holloway, London N19 3NW

Peter Hicks

Mar 5, 2018, 2:34:12 AM3/5/18
to openraildata-talk
All,

Further to this, the TD messages I'm seeing have timestamps about 1m10s behind the current time.

Peter

Samuel Brown

Mar 5, 2018, 2:52:00 AM3/5/18
Hi Peter - I'm seeing a lot of missing data too, looks like only about half the expected messages
Sam

Adrian Bradshaw

Mar 5, 2018, 3:52:21 AM3/5/18
to openrail...@googlegroups.com

and now all stopped again. 10 mins since the last message.

---

Adrian Bradshaw  Administrator (volunteer)

Railcam UK Limited

@: adr...@railcam.uk

Railcam.uk  Bringing The Lineside To Your Armchair

Railcam UK Limited | A company limited by guarantee | registration number 10167844

3rd Floor | 207 Regent Street | London W1B 3HH

Railcam UK Ltd is operated on a not-for-profit basis entirely by volunteers

Mark Rawlinson

Mar 5, 2018, 5:00:17 AM3/5/18
Feeds down for over an hour now, which is particularly galling considering we were told only yesterday
that "The good news is the root cause is fixed and well be announcing the release of this fix shortly"

If this is their idea of "fixing the root cause" I'm not impressed, or is there a completely different
"root cause" every single time the feeds crash?!

MARK

David Higginbottom

Mar 5, 2018, 5:06:14 AM3/5/18
to Mark Rawlinson, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community

Hi Mark,

The problem is upstream of us at Network Rail.

Kind regards

David Higginbottom

Head of Support

Digital Systems Group

CACI Limited

5th Floor

8 St Paul’s Street

Leeds LS1 2LE

www.caci.co.uk

cid:image001.png@01D33C67.57CF0740

Follow @open_rail_feeds on twitter for service announcements and outage information

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postm...@caci.co.uk
Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

CACI Limited. Registered in England & Wales. Registration No. 1649776. CACI House, Avonmore Road, London, W14 8TS

Mark Rawlinson

Mar 5, 2018, 12:35:39 PM3/5/18

The TD feed finally came back from the dead around 15.16, one of the longest outages
of its kind since the NROD platform first launched and hopefully never to be repeated!

On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 10:06:14 AM UTC, David Higginbottom wrote:

Hi Mark,

The problem is upstream of us at Network Rail.

Thank for clarifying, but what I don't understand is how the Train Movements (TRUST) feed was *not* affected by this outage,
when I always thought that most TRUST reports are generated from TD data (using SMART offsets) in the first place, so if the
Network Rail TD system went down, surely there would be no TRUST reports on lines such as the WCML and ECML,
but trains were reporting as normal today...

Or am I misunderstanding how TRUST reports are generated (Peter?)

MARK

Dom Rodriguez

Mar 7, 2018, 10:42:34 AM3/7/18
to Peter Hicks, openraildata-talk
Peter Hicks <peter...@poggs.co.uk> writes:

> All,
>
> Is anyone seeing missing TD data on NROD this morning? I've had reports of
> many trains not stepping properly, and the message rate I'm getting in
> appears to be levelling off from around 0630 at about 25 operations/sec...
> I'm expecting a higher volume.
>

> Peter
>
> --
>
> OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no. 09504022.
> Registered office: 13a Davenant Road, Upper Holloway, London N19 3NW

TD and MVT feeds are at very low rates for me right now, not sure if
its my end or not. It receives fine, but the rates are very low.. bit
concerning.

I suspect this is due to the upstream problem?
Thanks.

--
Best regards,
Dom Rodriguez (shymega / dzr).

Peter Hicks

Mar 7, 2018, 10:53:37 AM3/7/18
to shy...@shymega.org.uk, openraildata-talk
Hi Dom

Which TD feed(s) are you subscribed to?  I see the TD all-area feed at normal throughput for the time of day.

Are you using STOMP or OpenWire?

Peter

Dom Rodriguez

Mar 7, 2018, 11:08:03 AM3/7/18
to Peter Hicks, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Peter,

I'm subscribed to `TD_ALL_SIG_AREA`, so I think I should be receiving
the messages - my Erlang app isn't receiving a large quantity though,
average is about 3 messages a second, and it doesn't look
right.. pretty sure its been a bit higher than that.

What throughput are you getting?

For the MVT feeds, I'm subscribed to TRAIN_MVT_ALL_TOC, and the Erlang
app is (also) showing few messages received from that topic as well.

I don't have the best of memory however, so I might be remembering the
"normal" throughput incorrectly.

Thanks for your help :)

Peter Hicks <peter...@poggs.co.uk> writes:

> Hi Dom
>
> Which TD feed(s) are you subscribed to? I see the TD all-area feed at
> normal throughput for the time of day.
>
> Are you using STOMP or OpenWire?
>

> Peter
>
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 at 15:42 Dom Rodriguez <shy...@shymega.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Peter Hicks <peter...@poggs.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> > All,
>> >
>> > Is anyone seeing missing TD data on NROD this morning? I've had reports
>> of
>> > many trains not stepping properly, and the message rate I'm getting in
>> > appears to be levelling off from around 0630 at about 25
>> operations/sec...
>> > I'm expecting a higher volume.
>> >

>> > Peter
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no.
>> 09504022.
>> > Registered office: 13a Davenant Road, Upper Ho
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=egistered+office:+13a+Davenant+Road,+Upper+Ho&entry=gmail&source=g>lloway,

Peter Hicks

Mar 7, 2018, 11:28:07 AM3/7/18
to shy...@shymega.org.uk, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Dom

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 at 16:08 Dom Rodriguez <shy...@shymega.org.uk> wrote:

I'm subscribed to `TD_ALL_SIG_AREA`, so I think I should be receiving
the messages - my Erlang app isn't receiving a large quantity though,
average is about 3 messages a second, and it doesn't look
right.. pretty sure its been a bit higher than that.

If those are three batches of 32 messages, then that's fine.  You can check that your queue depth is low on the server by taking the 'time' key from one of the TD messages, dividing it by 1000 and using Erlang's equivalent of Ruby's Time.at(), which takes a UNIX epoch seconds offset and shows a date/time.  Ideally you'll be only a few seconds out, providing your local clock is correct.

Peter