Location naming conventions

Marcus

Sep 22, 2015, 6:24:02 AM9/22/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Looking through the CORPUS data at the moment and I'm trying to get my
head around what I think are a few inconsistencies in the format. I
previously worked out that the difference between 'junction' and 'jn'
was where junction was part of the name as in Clapham Junction and jn
was a junction as in Haughley Jn.

But now I've found a few places that are not places but are junction
with longer junctions as in Thorpe Junction (ok I've only found Thorpe
but I'm sure there are more)

Anyone know the standards and conventions or is this just an aberration?

Cheers,

Marcus
--
www.rail-net.co.uk
www.trainspots.co.uk

Peter Hicks

Sep 22, 2015, 6:30:30 AM9/22/15
to Marcus, openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcus

On 22 Sep 2015, at 11:23, Marcus <g...@rail-net.co.uk> wrote:

Looking through the CORPUS data at the moment and I'm trying to get my head around what I think are a few inconsistencies in the format.  I previously worked out that the difference between 'junction' and 'jn' was where junction was part of the name as in Clapham Junction and jn was a junction as in Haughley Jn.

But now I've found a few places that are not places but are junction with longer junctions as in Thorpe Junction (ok I've only found Thorpe but I'm sure there are more)

Anyone know the standards and conventions or is this just an aberration?

It’s safest to assume there is no standard to the way names are written in CORPUS.

If you’re looking for a set of customer-facing TIPLOCs mapped to a standard set of names, have a look at the reference data from Darwin - see http://nrodwiki.rockshore.net/index.php/Darwin:Push_Port#Reference_Data

Peter

signature.asc

Ben Woodward

Sep 22, 2015, 6:34:24 AM9/22/15
to Marcus, openraildata-talk
There probably isn't one. I've seen Junction, Jn, Jnc, I guess if you
want them the same you'd be best normalising manually.