Peak and Off-Peak validity

Linus Norton

May 27, 2016, 1:46:13 AM5/27/16
Is there any data in the DTD feeds (fares, timetables, routeing guide) that tells you how to work out of a particular service is considered off-peak? It seems everywhere has different rules and I was just wondering how it could be worked out / applied?

Ben Woodward

May 27, 2016, 3:52:29 AM5/27/16
to Linus Norton, openraildata-talk

Services are not peak or off peak, tickets are.

On 27 May 2016 6:46 a.m., "Linus Norton" <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any data in the DTD feeds (fares, timetables, routeing guide) that tells you how to work out of a particular service is considered off-peak? It seems everywhere has different rules and I was just wondering how it could be worked out / applied?

Linus Norton

May 27, 2016, 4:58:00 AM5/27/16
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, linus...@gmail.com
Sorry I should have phrased that better. I'd like to know which fares are valid on which services is there anything in the data that describes the "off-peak" or fare validity so I could work out which fares are valid on which services? Is that the restriction code?

Peter Hicks

May 27, 2016, 5:02:07 AM5/27/16
to Linus Norton, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, pa...@pdkelly.de
Hi Linus

On 27 May 2016, at 09:57, Linus Norton <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry I should have phrased that better. I'd like to know which fares are valid on which services is there anything in the data that describes the "off-peak" or fare validity so I could work out which fares are valid on which services? Is that the restriction code?

The data from the DTD service isn’t open, so you probably won’t find anyone in here who has experience with it.

That said, the fares dataset from data.atoc.org contains information on which tickets are valid on which trains.  I’ve cc’d Paul Kelly who is the resident fares expert here!  Bear in mind this is just for walk-up fares, not Advance fares, as their validity isn’t necessarily determined purely by time.

Peter

signature.asc

Linus Norton

May 27, 2016, 5:15:29 AM5/27/16
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, linus...@gmail.com, pa...@pdkelly.de
Thanks Peter. About DTD is it just the delivery mechanism that's not open? AFAIK the fares, timetable and routeing guide are all open now, although they are not refreshed very often. I might be totally wrong though.

Paul will probably know what I'm looking at doing as I had a brief chat with him before.

Thanks again,

Linus

Peter Hicks

May 27, 2016, 5:18:12 AM5/27/16

On 27 May 2016, at 10:15, Linus Norton <linus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Peter. About DTD is it just the delivery mechanism that's not open? AFAIK the fares, timetable and routeing guide are all open now, although they are not refreshed very often. I might be totally wrong though.

The data isn’t open - last time I looked, you needed to pay a licence fee to get the data on a nightly basis.

The timetable’s been open for some years, the fares data not as long (and it’s only refreshed a handful of times a year), and the routing guide data isn’t available openly and electronically, although there are PDFs with the data processed in to a human-readable format.

Peter

signature.asc

Paul Kelly

May 27, 2016, 6:07:05 AM5/27/16
to Linus Norton, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Linus,

On 05/27/2016 10:15 AM, Linus Norton wrote:
> Thanks Peter. About DTD is it just the delivery mechanism that's not
> open? AFAIK the fares, timetable and routeing guide are all open now,
> although they are not refreshed very often. I might be totally wrong though.

Yes the fares and timetable data from the open data portal is exactly
the same as from the DTD system, with the exception that only full
refresh files (and not daily updates) are available. The routeing guide
data feed is still not available as open data as Peter said.

And yes, the information you need to determine off-peak restrictions is
in the fares data feed, in the RST file if I remember correctly. It is
what I use to generate the human-readable "Unpublished Restrictions" on
the individual fare pages on BRfares.com - e.g. scroll down to the
bottom of the following page to see what I mean:
<http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=PBO&dest=1072&rte=28&tkt=CDR>.

This is useful for determining why journey planners sometimes
erroneously bar use of Off-Peak tickets on trains in which they are
valid - the schema used is pretty coarse and doesn't encapsulate all the
types of Off-Peak restrictions there actually are.

Paul

Linus Norton

May 27, 2016, 6:27:04 AM5/27/16
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, linus...@gmail.com
Thanks very much, I'll see what I can do with it