OJP Unreliable Service Operator Information

Alexander MacLeod

Nov 28, 2017, 6:33:25 PM11/28/17
Dear all,

I am using the OJP within my application and I am experiencing issues obtaining the service operator for each leg.

For some reason, some requests made to the planner will successfully send back information about the service operator. However, others, will not provide any details at all. For example, I have attached two .txt files in this post which contain the XML document produced by the OJP. The requests were made within three seconds of each other.

If you cmd+f (or ctrl-f :/) on the first document and search for "operator", you will see that there is operator information for each leg:
<ns2:operator><ns3:code>GW</ns3:code><ns3:name>Great Western Railway</ns3:name></ns2:operator>

However, if you do the same for the second text file, no such operator information is provided.

I'm pretty sure this will be an error at their end. Would someone be able to investigate this issue?

Many thanks,
Alexander
Request1.txt
Request2.txt

Rail Delivery Group

Nov 29, 2017, 4:59:17 AM11/29/17
I can confirm this is an intermittent error which has been seen before. I will report on to the service provider

Alexander MacLeod

Feb 10, 2019, 6:38:14 AM2/10/19
Dear all,

It has been over a year since I first reported a bug where the OJP would return the incorrect service operator name for some queries. It has got to the extent where I am receiving several emails a day from users of my application reporting this issue.
It is becoming a bit tiresome replying with an email essentially saying that we are sorry and that we are unable to help.

Would someone be able to look into this issue again?

Kind regards,
Alexander

Rail Delivery Group

Feb 13, 2019, 4:46:55 AM2/13/19

I can only apologise for the ongoing problems with this - it is an error which would see, easy to fix but for reasons unknown to us keeps re-occuring. I have raised again with our supplier and will also pass to our Service Delivery Manager so it is on his radar.

RDG

Alexander MacLeod

Oct 17, 2019, 8:32:52 AM10/17/19

I regret to say that this issue still persists and has recently become worse.

The service operator is not just missing from OJP responses but worse, is regularly incorrect, providing much confusion to my users. I have had reports of the OJP stating an LNER service from Edinburgh to London Kings Cross was operated by the London Underground!

It’s now been almost two years since I first reported this issue. I have received hundreds of emails from users reporting this issue and have had to apologise without a solution. Furthermore, my app has been reviewed negatively as a result of these OJP irregularities.

I really hope that this issue can be properly looked at as soon as possible. I have been patient!

Thanks,
Alexander

Tom Cairns

Oct 17, 2019, 8:45:48 AM10/17/19
to Alexander MacLeod, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
This has been ongoing for much longer than two years too. I think I first saw it about five years ago...

Tom

Rail Delivery Group

Dec 2, 2019, 5:25:42 AM12/2/19
A recent release to OJP (19/11) introduced changes which it is hoped will finally resolve this intermittent issue. The change also introduced extra logging to aid in identifying the underlying cause if the issue still occurs.

Being intermittent it is very difficult for us to test with 100% confidence of the issue being resolved. So if you continue to see this problem please report it here (with a message timestamp if you can) and we will hopefully have a better chance of tracing and ultimately eliminating the underlying cause.

RDG

Alexander MacLeod

Dec 2, 2019, 2:29:27 PM12/2/19
Thank you very much for this - I really appreciate the update!

Alexander