Tracking trains on "TRAIN_MVT_ALL_TOC"

Stefan Safranek

Jul 25, 2016, 2:53:35 PM7/25/16

I am working on a geospatial and time-series project using the "TRAIN_MVT_ALL_TOC" datafeed to track individual trains. I was using the “train_id” from this datafeed as an id for the individual engine however after 48hours I ended up with 45,000 trains. This number seems way to high. Currently, I am training to use the “train_uid” from the “Train_Activation” message to try and track the individual engines. Since the “train_uid” is the id for the schedule being activated I am concerned that this isn't a unique identifier for the engine (can different engines have the same sechedule over time?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stefan

Peter Hicks

Jul 25, 2016, 3:08:28 PM7/25/16
to Stefan Safranek, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Stefan

You're looking at the wrong set of data - what's in the train movement feed is train *services*, rather than actual rolling stock.

The rolling stock allocation data is held in various other IT systems, none of which are currently open :(

Peter