Darwin FTP (datafeeds.nationalrail.co.uk) seems to hang on connection

Argo Synepis

Dec 1, 2017, 3:51:47 PM12/1/17

Since this afternoon, I've been having trouble connecting to the Darwin FTP.
I've tried connecting from two separate networks and saw the same behaviour,
connection and authentication is successful but then it simply hangs while trying to list the directory.
(It managed to list the directory a few times but as soon I as I attempted to download a file it hung again)

FileZilla output

Anybody else experiencing this, and know perhaps whom (at which address) to contact about it?

Thanks,
Argo

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Dec 1, 2017, 3:53:01 PM12/1/17
to Argo Synepis, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Argo
I’ve just checked, and I’m seeing this issue too.  It seemed to start at 1510, as that’s the last log file I received.

Anyone else?

Peter

OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no. 09504022.
Registered office: 13a Davenant Road, Upper Holloway, London N19 3NW

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Dec 1, 2017, 4:03:02 PM12/1/17
to Argo Synepis, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community

> On 1 Dec 2017, at 20:52, Peter Hicks (Poggs) <peter...@poggs.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I’ve just checked, and I’m seeing this issue too. It seemed to start at 1510, as that’s the last log file I received.

It seems that passive-mode FTP is broken, but non-passive mode is fine. But, passive-mode FTP has been working since release, and I don’t know of any planned changes to the platform - so consider this a fault.

If anyone else is having the same issue, switch off passive mode on your client, but also report back here so it’s clear how many people are affected!

Peter

Lee Fortnam

Dec 1, 2017, 4:08:47 PM12/1/17
to Peter Hicks (Poggs), Argo Synepis, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi All,

I am having the same issue. Last successful file was the 15:30.

Regards,

Lee

Argo Synepis

Dec 1, 2017, 4:10:10 PM12/1/17
Yep, tried active mode and it works!

Thanks,
Argo

Chris Bailiss

Dec 1, 2017, 5:25:04 PM12/1/17
Yes, seeing this problem as well.  This isn't the first time, has happened once or twice in the past, but was previously resolved quicker than this (presumably someone doing a reboot somewhere - hopefully we won't have to wait until Monday for this...).

Chris

russell pirie

Dec 2, 2017, 3:35:06 AM12/2/17
Same issue

Will give active mode a go :)

Regards
Russell

Lee Fortnam

Dec 2, 2017, 7:25:56 AM12/2/17
to russell pirie, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Does anyone know if the Darwin crew are looking at this issue under proper support tickets or are we just having to wait until Monday?

Switching to active from passive does not appear to be working this end. Just no access to listing or download facilities.

Thanks,

Lee

Peter Hicks

Dec 2, 2017, 11:03:04 AM12/2/17
to Lee Fortnam, russell pirie, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Lee

Are you behind a device performing NAT or PAT?  For example, if you're on Amazon EC2, or your server has an IP address of 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.(16-31).x.x, you may well need to use passive mode FTP to make FTP work.

If anyone's missing data, I can supply archived copies of the logs from Friday through to whenever the issue is fixed.

Peter

Mark Wherity

Dec 2, 2017, 5:29:41 PM12/2/17
Still seeing strange behavior here:
  • Passive operations began failing at around 14:25 Friday - specifically, unable to perform file listings
  • Since then, approximately 1 in 100 passive operations have actually been successful - so things aren't *completely* broken, but just aren't usable
  • Active operations seem to work locally (using WinSCP) but not from EC2/Lambda
The site I maintain only consumes from FTP (not the message queue) so this FTP issue is a real concern here.

Peter - thanks for the offer of supplying archived logs, that would be appreciated!

Mark

Lee Fortnam

Dec 2, 2017, 7:10:10 PM12/2/17
to Mark Wherity, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Mark, exact same circumstances and issues here.

Fingers crossed for an early Monday fix if not sooner.

Lee

Peter Hicks

Dec 3, 2017, 7:12:00 AM12/3/17
to Mark Wherity, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Mark (and anyone else who needs them)

I've uploaded the logs and snapshots from 1st and 2nd December:

I'll upload today's logs tomorrow morning, and continue that until the problem is fixed.

Peter

Chris Bailiss

Dec 3, 2017, 9:30:31 AM12/3/17
Thanks Peter,

I'm falling back to using active so shouldn't have missed any files - but was going to check against your files (thanks for making those available), however I'm getting a 404 on the links you posted...

Chris

Peter Hicks

Dec 3, 2017, 9:39:43 AM12/3/17
to Chris Bailiss, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community

Mark Wherity

Dec 3, 2017, 5:11:18 PM12/3/17
Works perfectly - thanks Peter.