Open Data Wish List

Peter Hicks

May 17, 2015, 1:36:00 PM5/17/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
All,

I've started to document the data a number of people have submitted to
the Rail Data Wish-List form, appraising the data, its benefit and why
it could or couldn't be opened up. It's purely speculative and from my
perspective.

The wiki page is at http://nrodwiki.rockshore.net/index.php/Wish_List -
if you want to (anonymously, but it'll help to have your details)
request data, the form is at
https://docs.google.com/a/poggs.co.uk/forms/d/1UXyrhAUctU62L_h8bmLSxFusHs0--B1KkH260u-D_Ds/viewform
. I'll continue to consolidate the replies and write them up on the
wiki when I have time, and I will post them anonymously and not identify
who's sent the request in.

Peter

Dave Butland

May 19, 2015, 5:42:51 AM5/19/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

This looks very promising though it is from the perspective of existing data. It might be worth getting the various projects to create a similar wish list of things they would like to be able to do if the right data was available. Not sure what this looks like at the moment but it would then allow a "supply" vs "demand" view to be created that might identify easier ways to achieve the end goals.

I notice one of the blockers to success is frequently the cost to the data owner of making this data available to a wider audience. I might be able to help with this but it depends on the various parties that are involved. Drop me an email if you want to discuss potential.

Cheers,

Dave.