is there any OJP Feeds data example freely available?

jerry xu

Sep 26, 2017, 12:52:39 PM9/26/17

My friends and I (both developers) are thinking of the possibility to create our own rail journey planner. To do that, I think we will need OJP feeds.

Other than paying for the fee without even coding anything, are there any feed data example we could download and play for a while?

Many Thanks

Jerry

Peter Hicks

Sep 26, 2017, 12:59:14 PM9/26/17
to jerry xu, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Jerry

The OJP is a journey planner itself - it takes the Routeing Guide and live Darwin train movements in to account when planning journeys - so it uses multiple feeds of data (including fares, I think) to produce its output.

Are you looking to use the OJP, or replicate its functionality?

Peter

jerry xu

Sep 26, 2017, 5:55:25 PM9/26/17
Hi Peter,
We are thinking of doing our own journey planner. We both work in AI and data science field, and we're thinking if we could create a journey planner that can give better train prices by doing some data analysis and applying algorithms.

Thanks

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Sep 27, 2017, 1:38:05 PM9/27/17

On 26 Sep 2017, at 22:55, jerry xu <daxu...@gmail.com> wrote:

We are thinking of doing our own journey planner. We both work in AI and data science field, and we're thinking if we could create a journey planner that can give better train prices by doing some data analysis and applying algorithms.

Good luck - here’s what you’ll probably need:

  * Darwin Push Port via the NRDP at https://datafeeds.nationalrail.co.uk/ - so you have trains today and tomorrow, plus real-time running information
  * CIF schedule data via the NR Open Data system at https://datafeeds.networkrail.co.uk/ so you have details of schedules which apply after ‘tomorrow’ up to twelve weeks
  * Fares data - so you know how much a journey from A to B costs, where you can split tickets where the train stops, and what the price options are, plus whether a ticket from, for example, London Terminals to Manchester Piccadilly routed ‘Any Permitted’ is valid on a train to Sheffield and another train to Manchester
  * Routeing Guide - so you can work out what the permitted routes are between two locations
  * Access to the reservation system - so you can determine which trains can be used for various types of Advance tickets

Be aware though: the fares system and routeing guide are best described as ‘very complicated’, so you might want to ensure you have a good supply of coffee!

Peter

Linus Norton

Sep 27, 2017, 2:23:44 PM9/27/17
to Peter Hicks (Poggs), jerry xu, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Jerry,

Just shout if you get stuck in a particular area. I have some open source code that might help:

I've attached some documentation on the fares but you really want to start with the official documentation.

Journey planning is relatively easy compared with fares as there are many recent academic papers describing journey planning algorithms. If you'd like some starting points on that I can provide some reading material.

Cheers,

Linus

Fares Lookup.pdf
Fare Validity (1).pdf

jerry xu

Sep 27, 2017, 3:35:39 PM9/27/17
to Peter Hicks, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Thanks for the tip!

I analyse financial data (pension, portfolio etc) daily in my work, so hopefully it won't be much worse than that kind of data.

Many Thanks

Iris Shu

Feb 25, 2018, 4:04:33 PM2/25/18
Hello Jerry,

I'm currently working on a similar project with yours, Can I ask you some questions in details?

在 2017年9月27日星期三 UTC+1下午8:35:39,jerry xu写道: