TD and TRUST feed instability

Peter Hicks

Jul 6, 2017, 3:53:29 PM7/6/17
to openraildata-talk
All,

Does anyone else have users of their services complaining about missing train movement messages/cancellations, or missing train describer data?

It looks like the TD and TRUST feeds have been problematic all day:

feed-abnormal.png
Compare this to a normal day:

feed-normal.png
I've reported this to the support people, but it'd be really good if anyone else here affected could reply to this thread of the impact it has on your particular services/products.

Peter

Peter Mount

Jul 6, 2017, 4:15:27 PM7/6/17
to Peter Hicks, openraildata-talk
Here's mine for today. Careering been fine except for an odd blip this morning, probably local to me, but the nr feeds have been a bit erratic.

Peter

Screenshot_2017-07-06-21-11-30.png
Screenshot_2017-07-06-21-10-57.png
Screenshot_2017-07-06-21-10-38.png

Adrian Bradshaw

Jul 6, 2017, 4:22:30 PM7/6/17
to openrail...@googlegroups.com

Peter

Absolutely, yes, it's been very unstable, with missed messages and latency up and down like a yo-yo. Our diagrams have been littered with orphaned headcodes and on occasion minutes delayed compared to our live cameras.

I suppose it says something about our expectations that nobody even bothers to report it here. To be fair though, it's actually not been so bad of late...

Adrian

---

Adrian Bradshaw  Administrator (volunteer)

Railcam UK Limited

@: adr...@railcam.uk

Railcam.uk  Bringing The Lineside To Your Armchair

Railcam UK Limited | A company limited by guarantee | registration number 10167844

3rd Floor | 207 Regent Street | London W1B 3HH

Railcam UK Ltd is operated on a not-for-profit basis entirely by volunteers

David Higginbottom

Jul 6, 2017, 4:30:01 PM7/6/17
to adr...@railcam.uk, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
All,

Apologies for the latency and related issues today.
Everything should be resolved now.

Kind regards
Dave
Jul 10, 2017, 8:41:41 AM7/10/17
Seems to be happening yet again today - TD feed suffering from ever increasing latency
(over 7 minutes at the moment, according to my calculations)

Can anyone explain why this latency issue occurs - inadequate buffering and/or processing
power to 'catch up' after feed interruptions, perhaps, or is the raw data coming through from
the Network Rail TD system with latency to begin with??

MARK

petermount

Jul 10, 2017, 8:46:34 AM7/10/17
Yeah, looks like from about 1pm BST although it does look like there was another blip around 10am.

Mark Rawlinson

Jul 13, 2017, 12:07:19 PM7/13/17

Seems to be kicking off yet again - latency has been 'choppy' since around 16.55

MARK

petermount

Jul 13, 2017, 12:33:10 PM7/13/17
I'm seeing the same, from about 16:25 onwards

Peter Hicks

Jul 13, 2017, 12:34:19 PM7/13/17
to petermount, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Same here, about 1635.

Peter

sweary

Jul 13, 2017, 12:51:49 PM7/13/17

Yep.... the Openwire seems to be getting later and later (currently 500 seconds) with all messages arriving eventually but the STOMP has missing messages, presumably as over 300 seconds are dumped as you'd expect.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

petermount

Jul 13, 2017, 1:01:11 PM7/13/17
Just checked the TD latency, right now it's over 10 minutes

{
  "lastUpate": "2017-07-13T16:55:27.488Z",
  "min": 605582,
  "max": 621547,
  "value": 618488

Mark Rawlinson

Jul 13, 2017, 1:05:12 PM7/13/17

Seems to have been getting steadily worse - only around 15 seconds at first,
but quite quickly increased to over five minutes, which is obviously completely
unacceptable for a supposedly 'real time' feed which a lot of websites and apps
rely on these days!!

Hopefully someone from CACI will perform their usual 'turn it off and on again'' fix shortly,
but would it not be possible for them to set up a script which can detect when the feed
processing has become bogged down and automatically restart it without having to rely
on manual intervention every time?

Even to a layman like me that seems like a blatantly obvious solution (or at the very least
a sensible first step which would significantly reduce the impact of those TD feed issues
to end users), so it seems bizarre that have not considered it yet??

MARK

petermount

Jul 13, 2017, 1:15:06 PM7/13/17
I'm wondering if someone has flipped a switch as this is more like it.

  "lastUpate": "2017-07-13T17:12:59.781Z",
  "min": -403,
  "max": 2283,
  "value": 781

Adrian Bradshaw (RAILCAM UK)

Jul 13, 2017, 2:48:18 PM7/13/17
to Mark Rawlinson, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
It does sound like a sensible 'bodge', if nobody feels inclined or able to look into the root cause,

Adrian

Phil Wieland

Jul 13, 2017, 4:45:28 PM7/13/17
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, freightmas...@gmail.com
I think it would be preferable to look at actually fixing the fault.  Perhaps they could start by considering why a four year old version of ActiveMQ is being used.

Phil