Public arr/dep logic in CIF

Martin Swanson

Feb 19, 2015, 2:13:10 PM2/19/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Could someone help me understand the logic used to populate public arrival / departure on schedule location records in CIF?

I see a lot of "0000" values, I assume this means the public time is the same as the scheduled arrival / departure times? ie they only populate public times with a non-zero value if the public time differs from the scheduled time?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Peter Mount

Feb 19, 2015, 2:34:20 PM2/19/15
to Martin Swanson, openraildata-talk

What I remember those fields have to have a value in there but you'll find they'll be passes rather than stops.

Paul Kelly

Feb 19, 2015, 2:54:48 PM2/19/15
On 19/02/15 19:13, Martin Swanson wrote:
> Could someone help me understand the logic used to populate public arrival / departure on schedule location records in CIF?
>
> I see a lot of "0000" values, I assume this means the public time is the same as the scheduled arrival / departure times? ie they only populate public times with a non-zero value if the public time differs from the scheduled time?

A public arrival or departure time of 0000 for a location simply means
that there is, respectively, no publicly advertised arrival or departure
at that location. Th train may either not stop there, or it does stop
but the stop is not advertised to the public for various reasons.

Paul

Chris Northwood

Feb 19, 2015, 3:55:18 PM2/19/15
to openraildata-talk
Not that I'm doing anything with the CIF data, but does that mean there are no trains scheduled to stop at midnight anywhere on the network?

Tom Cairns

Feb 19, 2015, 4:01:31 PM2/19/15
to Chris Northwood, openrail...@googlegroups.com
Yep.

There isn’t anything in the WTT or GBTT with a calling time of 0000. In the GBTT, it’ll always be 2359 or 0001 – you do see half minutes in the WTT though, so 0000H is an accepted value.

Tom

--
Tom Cairns

Martin Swanson

Feb 19, 2015, 4:32:46 PM2/19/15
to Tom Cairns, Chris Northwood, openrail...@googlegroups.com
Can I just understand, why would a train stop for a few mins at a station, but not show that in the public timetable? What's the point of that?

Martin

Chris Northwood

Feb 19, 2015, 5:24:11 PM2/19/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
I believe for example the Caledonian Sleeper stops at Carstairs where the Edinburgh/Glasgow parts split, but passengers can't get on/off there. Similarly during engineering works in Manchester recently some of the Transpennine trains have stopped at Salford Central to reverse, but that's just for the driver to walk down the platform, passengers aren't allowed to disembark (as the service doesn't call at Salford Central when engineering works aren't going on)

Tom Cairns

Feb 19, 2015, 5:25:26 PM2/19/15
to Martin Swanson, Chris Northwood, openrail...@googlegroups.com
There could be a couple of reasons, really. It’s worth pointing out that you should still see 0000 records in the public column for any unadvertised stop, even at a junction.

For why a train might call unadvertised at a station, it may be purely such that it can pass another service, reverse or a change of the train crew (for instance a diversion in engineering works and picking up a route conductor). The activity codes in the location will typically indicate the reason for the stop.

Tom

--
Tom Cairns