Issues connecting to API first time (error: "HTTP Status 405 - Request method 'GET' not supported")

Philip Osborne

Oct 3, 2017, 5:34:18 AM10/3/17

I am attempting to access the API for the first time to request historic data for some analysis but am having issues. I have look everywhere for a solution but cannot seem to find any reference to my problem.

I have created an account on the National Rail data portal and when I go to https://hsp-prod.rockshore.net/login and fill in my information I get the following error:

HTTP Status 405 - Request method 'GET' not supported

type Status report

message Request method 'GET' not supported

description The specified HTTP method is not allowed for the requested resource.

Apache Tomcat/8.0.30

Is there something I am doing wrong or do I simply not have access to the data approved?

Thanks
Phil

Mr Edz

Oct 11, 2017, 6:40:34 PM10/11/17
Hi, looks like you have the wrong login page, try here

Regards,

Mark

Philip Osborne

Oct 13, 2017, 8:57:00 AM10/13/17
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response, I can log in there and I am presented with my feed information but where is the actual site for accessing the data? I have subscribed to the historic service performance and following the links on my feeds just takes me to that login page that provides the error. I am sure I am just missing something very simple but can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks
Phil

Mr Edz

Oct 13, 2017, 4:20:36 PM10/13/17
Hi Phil,

info on this kind of thing seems to be akin to chicken lips. I am very new to this also and barely have a handle on it myself. I had the same questions you have, but my answer was under my nose - the SDK for my phone does the job, no need for a browser.

Have a look here about using a browser for these type of 'calls'; https://developer.basespace.illumina.com/docs/content/documentation/rest-api/api-using-a-browser

Mark,

Stuart Bain

Oct 14, 2017, 5:51:19 AM10/14/17
Hi Phil,

You need to use a POST request to fetch data from the HSP API - the error message is complaining that you're making GET requests. Web browsers use GET requests to fetch web pages and usually use POST requests to submit form data.

I use Postman to interact with APIs before I start writing any code. Here's a couple of screenshots to get you started:

Hope that helps,
Stuart

Philip Osborne

Oct 17, 2017, 8:47:22 AM10/17/17
Thanks all, I will try the method suggested and see if I can get a handle on how this works.

Phil

Philip Osborne

Oct 19, 2017, 9:57:22 AM10/19/17
So I have managed to get it working now, thank you all for the assistance. Though am I only able to request one rid at a time in the serviceDetails? I'd would like to capture multiple trains across a time period and it would be extremely inefficient if I had to make a request each time.

Thanks
Phil