Just to be 100% clear on what public/working times mean?

Chris Dixon

Oct 8, 2015, 7:06:40 AM10/8/15
I'm looking at http://uktra.in/rtt/train/201510081488397 and I need to be clear what public/working times actually mean, against the observed time also.

Is the working time the train actually arrives? With the public time being the estimated time?

And, if so, what's does the observed time mean? If the working time differs from the observed time, then how? I'm asking as basically I can't find an observed time in the XML data, unless that's the data that comes from the Forecasts rather than Schedules.

Thanks in advance.

petermount

Oct 8, 2015, 7:13:08 AM10/8/15
There's two actual time tables.

Public - the one that the general public has access to, gets printed etc.
Working - The one that the trains actually run to.

The Working timetable is usually close to the Public one (it also has a resolution of 30s, public is to the minute) but it also includes passes i.e. there's no public entry for a station when the train speeds past it.

Now looking at it, on that page that train hasn't started yet, so the observed entries should be matching the public timetable, unless it's being delayed so you should then see the predictions (i.e. the etarr, etdep, etpass etc in the push port feed).

Once it starts moving & reports appear then I would be showing those entries in bold with the arr, dep & pass fields being shown instead.

Peter

Chris Dixon

Oct 8, 2015, 7:17:00 AM10/8/15
Ahhh, I see, so to grab the actual running times I always need to look at the Working time table.

However, once the train has actually started running I've found the Working schedule doesn't change and the Observed timetable gets updated with the actual time it passed. I can't see this value anywhere in the Schedule XML, so am I right in thinking this is what the Forecast XML is for?

Thank you again for your help on this!

petermount

Oct 8, 2015, 7:20:36 AM10/8/15
Yes.

On that page the right hand side is from the schedule, so that won't change unless they amend the schedule, i.e add stops etc but even those appear as schedule elements in the feed.

The "observed" section is from the forecasts. That obviously can change all the time.

Peter

Ben Woodward

Oct 8, 2015, 7:35:33 AM10/8/15
to Chris Dixon, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Working time is the time the signallers use to set routes / cross junctions.

Public times are those published in timetables.

Observed is perhaps when it actually registered at that location.

Chris Dixon

Oct 8, 2015, 7:37:17 AM10/8/15
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, th3d...@gmail.com, b...@benwoodward.me.uk
Thank you. You've both been a great help here. All this is a bit of a minefield when getting into it, but finally starting to all come together now.