Missing train_uid property in Train Movement feed

Jacob Ellis

May 19, 2018, 4:20:04 PM5/19/18
I’m using stomp to fetch Train Movement data but I think the response is missing the train_uid property which I need to link up to the static schedule data as documented here:

The Network Rail topic I’m using is  TRAIN_MVT_EM_TOC.

Take a look at this screenshot which shows the train_uid is missing in the response. Does anyone have any ideas?

James Uppington

May 19, 2018, 4:24:49 PM5/19/18
to Jacob Ellis, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
That's a departure message, in which the TRAIN_ID field is the identification.
The activation message is where a TRAIN_UID is assigned a TRAIN_ID which will be used in later TRUST messages, such as the departure message you've shown in your post.

From James Uppington

Jacob Ellis

May 19, 2018, 5:11:05 PM5/19/18

Do you know how to link a Departure or Arrival event message, from a Train Movement topic, to the static schedule data?

James Uppington

May 19, 2018, 5:15:53 PM5/19/18
to Jacob Ellis, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Yes:
Log the given TRAIN_ID when the activation message is received. The activation message will also contain the TRAIN_UID, linking it to the schedule data.
Then use the TRAIN_ID to track that train across its journey.

Effectively, the activation message gives you the unique (within a month) identifier (the 10 character TRAIN_ID) for that day's instance of the train in the schedule.

Without logging the activation message, you can't link arrivals and departures back to the schedule.

From James Uppington

Sent from my iPhone

Jacob Ellis

May 20, 2018, 4:52:47 AM5/20/18
Thank you for your help James, that makes sense now!