Schedule feed missing today's update feed?

Hayden Dunnicliffe

Feb 28, 2015, 7:24:47 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
The time stamp of today's JSON update file is not newer then yesterdays update file.

Is there any reason for no update today?

regards,
Hayden

Phil Wieland

Feb 28, 2015, 7:50:52 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
The data probably turned up late again.  Perhaps it's a biggie!

Phil

Peter Mount

Feb 28, 2015, 7:53:57 AM2/28/15
to Phil Wieland, openraildata-talk

Looking at the logs from when this mornings cif ran:

> Performing import of 416997

Phil Wieland

Feb 28, 2015, 8:04:02 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com, goo...@philwieland.com, pe...@retep.org.uk
416997 record updates?  That counts as a biggie, I think.

Phil

Peter Mount

Feb 28, 2015, 8:06:22 AM2/28/15
to Phil Wieland, openraildata-talk

That'll be cif records not schedules, so a schedule would obviously be multiple records but is still big for a daily.

That said Fridays usually are big.

Hayden Dunnicliffe

Feb 28, 2015, 8:15:22 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com, goo...@philwieland.com, pe...@retep.org.uk
So will the update be available later?

I forgot to mention I'm using the East Midlands Trains only schedule files, not sure if that makes a difference.

Phil Wieland

Feb 28, 2015, 8:42:28 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com, goo...@philwieland.com, pe...@retep.org.uk
The data should be in tomorrow's update (unless it arrives later today.)

Phil

Peter Hicks

Feb 28, 2015, 9:26:48 AM2/28/15

On 28/02/15 13:42, Phil Wieland wrote:
> The data should be in tomorrow's update (unless it arrives later today.)
CIF data was received last night at 0036, and it was the largest CIF
since 7th February at a hefty 34Mb. All the updates will be in
tonight's run.

Peter

Hayden Dunnicliffe

Feb 28, 2015, 9:34:08 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so for future reference, if I come across this problem again can I assume the updates will be included in tomorrows file?
(I'm just trying to work out how I can implement logic so I don't have to deal with this manually every time it happens)

Peter Hicks

Feb 28, 2015, 9:51:37 AM2/28/15

On 28/02/15 14:34, Hayden Dunnicliffe wrote:
> Ok, so for future reference, if I come across this problem again can I
> assume the updates will be included in tomorrows file?
> (I'm just trying to work out how I can implement logic so I don't have
> to deal with this manually every time it happens)
Yup - the process to generate the files runs shortly after midnight. If
the new CIF data isn't available at the time it runs, there will be two
CIF files pending when it next runs (ideally), so the updates will just
come through late.

I realise this is sub-optimal, as it may result in you not knowing about
any very late changes to schedules the next day. However, I believe
there are only a very few STP schedules which appear for tomorrow which
really should appear via VSTP but don't for some reason, so the amount
of data you miss is quite low. You can always hang on to movement
messages you can't match to a schedule until you get another schedule
update through.

Peter

Hayden Dunnicliffe

Feb 28, 2015, 9:54:45 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Great, that's simpler then I feared it might be.

Thanks for all the help!

Phil Wieland

Feb 28, 2015, 10:31:44 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
You have to keep retrying today's file, there was one occasion a few months ago when the 'missing' update turned up at about lunch time.

If, as usually happens, the update never appears, then you can expect the missing data to be merged into the next day's file.

Phil

Hayden Dunnicliffe

Feb 28, 2015, 10:50:37 AM2/28/15
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Oh really? That's how I was afraid it might work.
I'm going to have to rewrite the downloading part of my client :/

Thanks for the help!