Use of Double Arrow Symbol

Alexander MacLeod

Nov 10, 2016, 4:53:43 AM11/10/16
Dear all,

I have finished the programming side of my mobile application and am now looking to complete the marketing side of the project. I have a proposed application icon using the double arrow symbol which I have attached in this thread as reference. I am confused whether I am allowed to use this symbol in my application icon as there are many examples of apps on the Apple App Store that are developed by third-parties and utilise the double arrows.

Would anyone be able to explain the copyright behind using this symbol? I have done some research online but have been unable to find any definite information. I have tried contacting NR about this but it has been almost two weeks and I have received no response.

Thanks,
Alexander

Peter Hicks

Nov 10, 2016, 4:57:44 AM11/10/16
to Alexander MacLeod, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Hi Alexander

There's a useful document at http://www.nationalrailguidelines.co.uk/download.php?filename=pdfs/NR012.pdf which explains use of the double arrow symbol.  I believe the DfT 'own' it and you may be prevented from using it for an app as it might imply your app is 'official' in some capacity.

It might be useful for you to contact Rail Delivery Group (RDG, formerly ATOC) for their advice/opinion/guidance.

Peter