Historical Service Performance (Accessing data through a browser)

Tim

Feb 13, 2018, 10:11:41 AM2/13/18

I Don't have much experience with API's similar to those used by National Rail here so I was hoping I could get some advice on my predicament.

Essentially I'm attempting to create a project in which I can display National Rail data in a website using html. Unfortunately the Historical Service Performance (HSP) which I am using does not support CORS requests. As I understand it this means I cannot send a HTTP request via JavaScript directly in a browser. I've seen some mention of the software 'Postman' which seems like a way of gaining access to the data however I don't believe postman supports the ability for that data to be extracted without me having to manually do it myself to a database. Am I wrong in this assumption? Or is there a better way of automatically updating a html webpage or database with national rail data?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to this.

Thanks.

Oli C

Feb 13, 2018, 2:39:01 PM2/13/18
I'm new here as well!

Postman is just a fancy HTTP client, like your browser, or code you might write in whatever programming language you're comfortable with.

It sounds like you need a server-side component that will take requests from Javascript on your website, make the appropriate HSP requests, and then return the data back to the JS.