STANOX uniqueness?

Adrian Hooper

Mar 15, 2017, 12:47:27 PM3/15/17
The app we're building provides users the ability to specify a route that they're travelling on which displays stations provided by the NR stations XML.
The server also uses the schedule feed, and pulls in CORPUS. The issue we're having, is that that TIPLOC provided by the stations XML, and the CORPUS feeds are different for the same station, and as a result we have a failure to find journeys properly.

As a fix, I'm looking at possibly matching them together based on the stanox, but is this safe? Is a stanox unique to a station or would it be used elsewhere?

petermount

Mar 16, 2017, 8:41:56 AM3/16/17
Hopefully it's specific to a location (not necessarily a station) as I rely on that for a similar reason.

What I have is a table thats regenerated daily from multiple sources (NapTAN, NR timetable, darwin, corpus, planning data, ordnance survey etc) and this table makes a few assumptions like tiploc's with the same crs/3alpha code or the same stanox id are for the same location, mainly so that I can get as many stations as possible with an accurate geographical location (it's about 80% accurate right now).

When I took a look at the data where I had more than 1 tiploc per stanox then out of about 480 stanox's there looked like just 2 that looked odd but both looked like signals rather than stations.

Peter

Adrian Hooper

Mar 17, 2017, 5:24:58 AM3/17/17
Ah that's good to know! Should be fairly safe them (hopefully) to take the approach I'm thinking of by linking via stanox.
Out of curiosity, with your locations table, does that provide locations for different parts of stations, or just say a central point? I'm thinking stations like waterloo given just how big it is. I ask as part of what we're building involves users locations and matching up to stations within X meters, but that doesn't work overly well if the location of a station can only be a single point.

Chris Northwood

Mar 17, 2017, 7:01:24 AM3/17/17
to Adrian Hooper, A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
You might want to consider getting some data from OpenStreetMap. I believe most stations are tagged with NaPTAN info to allow you to do some cross-correlation, and you can get the extents of the station from that info.

petermount

Mar 17, 2017, 7:10:45 AM3/17/17
to A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community, ageh...@gmail.com
Yes for extents that would be useful.

For my data, it's a single central point & zoom level - used so I either get the station on a standard size map or if it's in the middle of nowhere then I can show some context. e.g. London Victoria

The problem with some data sets like NaPTAN, the planning data etc is some of the coordinates are plain wrong & when I mean wrong a station to the west of london has coordinates that are east of london.

As I find time, for stations I'm slowly going through the list & checking the accuracy. For those that are off then I'm building a list of those with the corrected coordinates. Then the batch job that runs every morning picks it up & updates the final dataset.

Right now it's updating the test site, so http://d2nq1yvr7y8rxf.cloudfront.net/station/ shows the output, any updated date thats in 2017 has a corrected coordinate.

At some point I'll finish that off & switch uktra.in to it & make this dataset available.

Peter
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openraildata-t...@googlegroups.com.