Trying to use unsealed developer image

Saijanai

Mar 11, 2014, 8:52:38 PM3/11/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I was attempting to follow the instructions at https://code.google.com/p/openqwaq/wiki/CreatingOpenQwaqFrom41

but right now, the squeak.org site is a bit "under construction," and there's no access to the ftp server http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1 , so I found an old copy of the   Squeak 4.1 VM (Squeak 4.2.4beta1U.app) on my Mac and attempted to run it using the oqbase image.

Squeak quietly quits with no messages as soon as I drag the oqbase.image file onto the Squeak 4.2.4beta1U application. Oddly enough, if I simply double click on the oqbase.image file, a recent Pharo app launches with no problems, but I don't see how to start up OpenQwaq.

I'm using Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2

I'd like to play directly with the OpenQwaq image as a Squeak developer just to see what is going on. I was semi-familiar with doing that with OpenCobalt and even made a few youtube videos about things ( Squeak from the very starthttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D ) but not sure how to get started with Squeak programming and OpenQwaq

Thanks for any advice.

Lawson

Ron Teitelbaum

Mar 11, 2014, 10:32:11 PM3/11/14
to open...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lawson,

Nice to see you.  Hope you have been well.  You are going to have to get the 4.1 base image running.  This is not the oqbase.image but just a regular 4.1 squeak image.  I see that squeak is moving around but hopefully it the regular 4.1 image will be available again soon.  If you have the image that goes with that 4.2 beta you could try that but I recommend using 4.1 instead.  I haven’t had a reason to move to 4.2 yet.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Head Of Engineering

3d Immersive Collaboration Consulting

r...@3dicc.com

Follow Me On Twitter: @RonTeitelbaum

www.3dicc.com

https://www.google.com/+3dicc

Saijanai

Mar 11, 2014, 11:26:58 PM3/11/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron, I thought that the 4.2 beta VM was what the 4.1 release image used anyway. It's what I found in the various versions of 4.1 I have. I'll check a 4.1 all-in-one to be sure.... Hard to tell. I can hold  off until the squeak.org site is workign again.

Thanks for responding so fast.

L.

Saijanai

Mar 18, 2014, 6:30:24 PM3/18/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron, I'm running Mavericks and I found that, for whatever reason, I can't get the wiki instructions on how to create/use an unlocked developer client to work.

So, I just grabbed the OpenQwaq executable from a working locked client and copied it into a 4.1 VM (which is actually the 4.2beta image as I said before -straight off the ftp.squeak.org/4.1 page) app and renamed it so it would work.

So, I have what appears to be working 4.1 image,as I launched by mess using the oqbase.image file. However, I can't figure out how to manuallly start OpenQwaq. I'm not even sure what squeak libraries are associated with OpenQwaq. The browser doesn't show any of the classes  that I recall being available from 10+ years ago, when I last played with Croquet (I"ve been using Cobalt for all my squeak videos).

So, I'm stuck again:

Thanks for responding.

Lawson

John McKeon

Mar 18, 2014, 8:48:36 PM3/18/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lawson,
There should be a morph in the upper rifghy corner of the world (with the Qeaq logo) that, when dragged will start a participant ui.
Hope that helps
John

jmck.seasidehosting.st

Saijanai

Mar 18, 2014, 10:24:57 PM3/18/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Couldnt' find it, so I attempted to create an image starting in Step 1.

At the very end of Step 3, I got the message MNU: UndefinedObject>>encodeForHTTP

The progress bar said "Downloading nil"

"Proceed" through the debugger doens't seem to work.

So, I can't do it from scratch, and I can't do it by starting at step 4.

Has anyone managed to create a Developer image from within Mac OS X Mavericks?

Can anyone simply send such an image to me to see if it works?

Thanks.

Lawson
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openqwaq+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Nikolay Suslov

Mar 19, 2014, 4:20:11 AM3/19/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lawson,

The unsealed oqserver.image should work (https://code.google.com/p/openqwaq/source/browse/trunk/server/bin/forums/oqserver.image) for running the client and server with <local>.
Also, you could look in source code of Krestianstvo.image from (http://krestianstvo.org/web/en/download). It is based on the same unsealed OQ base image with manual start of OpenQwaq as client and as server as well (from Morphic ui).

Regards,
Nikolay

John McKeon

Mar 19, 2014, 12:48:13 PM3/19/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
+10 for Krestianstvo

Krestianstvo 2.0.9a SDK makes it quite simple to get an OpenQwaq server set up and running. It uses Seaside/Pier for registration of new users, so no Apache server needed. The CouchDB setup requires zero effort. Definitely lowers the barriers to entry for mere mortals like myself who wouldn't want to go near a LAMP stack.
Many thanks to you Nikolay for this great contribution.

John