post-processing of event based risk simulation results

Hyeuk Ryu

Feb 1, 2016, 9:34:05 PM2/1/16
to OpenQuake Users
Hi,

I've got bunch of xml and csv files after running the Nepal demo of event based risk simulation.
FYI, I used oq-lite run job.ini --export xml,csv not oq-engine.

I've got a few questions:

1. Where can I find the probability of each of scenarios?

2. I see the agg loss curve by components but not whole structure. How can I compute it then? The same question for loss map as well.

3. I noticed that RMTK plotting tool is available to draw loss curve for selected asset but not for agg loss curve. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any comment will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hyeuk

anirudh.rao

Feb 2, 2016, 8:29:58 AM2/2/16
to OpenQuake Users
Hi Hyeuk,

1. If you mean the probability distribution used for sampling the number of times a particular rupture on a particular source will occur in a stochastic event set spanning the investigation time, it is not visible to the user—it is derived from the magnitude frequency distribution (MFD) of the source. The MFD is discretized into a set of equally spaced magnitude bins as specified by width_of_mfd_bin. For each magnitude bin, the corresponding annual occurrence rate is calculated. All ruptures of a particular magnitude on a particular source are assumed to be equally probable, and thus the corresponding annual occurrence rate is split equally amongst ruptures of the same magnitude. Depending upon the recurrence model, the corresponding probability distribution for the number of occurrences of each rupture generated by a particular source is obtained. Let me know if I misunderstood your question.

2. The aggregate loss curve for total economic losses (i.e., adding losses to structural and nonstructural components, contents and business interruption) is not computed by OpenQuake. The aggregate losses for each component are provided for each rupture in the stochastic event set, so this loss curve should be easy to obtain using a spreadsheet. Obtaining the loss map for total economic losses is not as trivial, as it will require post-processing of the asset loss tables which are currently available only in the HDF5 datastore.

3. For plotting the aggregate loss curve, calculating the average annual loss, and/or obtaining the losses corresponding to specified return periods, please refer to the Probable Maximum Losses notebook in the Risk Module of the Risk Modeller's Toolkit.

Regards,
Anirudh

Hyeuk Ryu

Feb 12, 2016, 2:49:50 AM2/12/16
to OpenQuake Users
Hi Anirudh,

Thanks for your kind reply. In the PML notebook, I assume that "total_cost" variable in the PML notebook is total replacement cost of all the buildings. Is it right? If so, I think it can be computed using the exposure rather than supplied by user.
Thanks.

Hyeuk

Hyeuk Ryu

Feb 12, 2016, 2:51:53 AM2/12/16
to OpenQuake Users
Another quick question regarding the PML notebook.

What is rups_for_return_period? Is it just number of ruptures?
Thanks.