Characteristic MFD

Julian Garcia-Mayordomo

May 17, 2018, 11:11:29 PM5/17/18
to OpenQuake Users

Hi there,

I’m reading the OQ engine user manual (latest version, v.3.0.1) and when reading about characteristic fault sources (2.3.1) and particularly looking at Listings 6 to 8 few questions came to my mind as in those examples the characteristic sources show Gutenberg-Richter MFDs (eg. from minMag 5 to maxMag 6.5). Is that correct? I wonder if there is a typo in the examples or may be, for some reason, this is actually a capability of OQ.

I mean, if a characteristic source in OQ is that one that its ruptures always cover the entire fault surface then its MFD should consider just one maxMag value (or a maxMag distribution) (it may be better to call this type of source Maximum Magnitude Model source, so it is not confused with a characteristic model in the sense of Y&C85).

I’m assuming that the correct way to model a Maximum Magnitude behaviour in OQ would be using either the arbitrary or the incremental MFD, is that right?

Thank you very much for your attention and let me congratulate all the OQ Team for this fabulous tool,

Julian

Marco Pagani

May 18, 2018, 2:55:35 AM5/18/18
to OpenQuake Users

Hi Julian,

Thanks for this note.

Yes the examples in Listing 6 and 8 are indeed misleading since in the Characteristic Fault Source is always rupturing entirely no matter what the magnitude of the earthquake. For this reason the user must check that the magnitude admitted by a characteristic fault source are consistent with the surface of the corresponding rupture i.e. of the entire fault surface. The best way to control this is indeed an incremental or arbitrary MFD. We will amend the manual to avoid this confusion.

We will also consider the possibility of changing the name of the Characteristic Fault Source although this is delicate since it might break back-compatibility.

Best wishes,

Marco

Julian Garcia-Mayordomo

May 20, 2018, 6:17:55 PM5/20/18
to OpenQuake Users

Thank you Marco for the information and clarification!

Cheers

Julian