ShakeMap

Erfan Firuzi

Jul 25, 2016, 12:50:59 AM7/25/16
to OpenQuake Users
Dear OQ developers,

First of all I want to thank for your fantastic program. I want to know if you have a plan to release a shakemap package that provide the ground motion shaking.

best regards,

Graeme Weatherill

Jul 26, 2016, 5:41:00 AM7/26/16
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Dear Erfan,

Thank you for your positive comment, we are happy to hear that OpenQuake is working well for you.

Regarding the shakemap package, we are pleased to be able to tell you that the USGS are currently in the process of developing a new shakemap software that is using the OpenQuake hazard library directly. Their new code, is available on the USGS Github repository - though this is still in active development. At the moment, the new software is using OpenQuake's GMPE library as well as some of the source and rupture features. We are actively collaborating with the Shakemap team to add further features into the hazard library software to better integrate the two projects.

In the meantime, however, it is possible to use OpenQuake for "shakemap"-like calculations using the scenario hazard calculator. This generates fields multiple of ground motion for a given rupture scenario. For more information I refer you to the OpenQuake 2.0  manual (https://www.globalquakemodel.org/openquake/support/documentation/engine/).

Thanks,

Graeme