Classical Damage

MNA16

Mar 20, 2018, 11:53:52 PM3/20/18
to OpenQuake Users
Hi there,

I have two questions about loss modelling in OQ that I would appreciate it if someone could help answer them:

1. Would it be possible to calculate probabilistic losses using Classical_Damage and adding a concequence model to the job_risk.ini? I know this works for Scenario_Damage but doesn't seem to work with Classical_Damage.

2. The Scenario_Damage option as mentioned above can be used for loss modelling with a consequence model that relates damage to loss. OpenQuake outputs median losses and their standard deviations. Is there a way to get the 5th and 95th percentile results?

Thanks,
Mostafa

Anirudh Rao

Mar 21, 2018, 3:08:17 PM3/21/18
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mostafa,

At the moment, the consequence model works only with the scenario damage calculator. If you're interested in computing both probabilistic damage and loss metrics, you would need to run two calculations - (1) using your fragility model with the classical damage calculator, and (2) combining your fragility and consequence models outside OpenQuake, and using the resultant vulnerability model with the classical risk calculator to obtain your probabilistic loss estimates.

Although the scenario damage calculator does have the information needed to obtain the full distribution of damage and loss results, this information is not currently exposed to the user. However, the scenario risk calculator does provide this functionality - so once again, using a vulnerability model with this calculator should give you the results you're interested in.

Regards,
Anirudh

Best regards,
ANIRUDH RAO    seismic risk engineer    LinkedIn: Anirudh Rao    +39-0382-5169-936
GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE MODEL    working together to assess risk
GEM — globalquakemodel.org     @GEMwrld     GEMwrld