Scenario Hazard Calculation Using a Simple Fault

MNA16

Mar 25, 2018, 10:25:46 PM3/25/18
to OpenQuake Users

Hi there,

Is it possible to do a scenario hazard calculation in OQ using a simple fault that has a range of possible magnitudes all having the same probability of occurrence? I would like to simulate a range of possible magnitudes. Is there a way to include magnitude in the Monte Carlo procedure?

I tried the classical option with the fault defined as a characteristic fault with a simple geometry and it worked well. However, what I need is the raw shaking parameters for each realisation.

Thanks,

Mostafa

Michele Simionato

Mar 27, 2018, 5:27:48 AM3/27/18
to OpenQuake Users
This feature currently is not supported in the engine. You could implement it yourself by using hazardlib. In order to do that you have to study the GmfComputer class.

       Michele

Graeme Weatherill

Mar 27, 2018, 5:42:34 AM3/27/18
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mostafa,

Whilst Michele is right and what you describe is not currently a feature, you might be able to get what you want from the event-based calculator, with some redundancy though. If you use the characteristic fault source (so the geometry is fixed) then you could use an arbitraryMFD option to describe the range of magnitudes and set their associated rates to, say, 1.0., e.g:

<arbitraryMFD>
    <occurRates>1.0 1.0 1.0</occurRates>
    <magnitudes>6.8 7.0 7.2</magnitudes>
</arbitraryMFD>

Running the event-based calculator for an investigation time sufficient to sample well all of the ruptures (say 1000 times the number of magnitudes) should generate a sufficient sampling of ground motion fields from each event, which you can export directly.

Graeme

MNA16

Apr 18, 2018, 5:11:22 AM4/18/18
to OpenQuake Users