Install Error: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages

mehdi mousavi

Apr 16, 2018, 4:54:20 AM4/16/18
to OpenQuake Users
Hi,

I'm trying to install oq on Ubuntu 16.04

But when i execute the command: sudo apt-get install python3-oq-engine

I'm getting dependency errors

 python3-oq-engine : Depends: python3-oq-libs (>= 1.6.0~) but it is not installable

Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    16.04
Codename:    xenial

Any suggestion?
Thanks

Luis Zamudio

Daniele Viganò

Apr 16, 2018, 5:24:34 AM4/16/18
to openqua...@googlegroups.com

Dear Luis,

are you on the stable branch https://launchpad.net/~openquake/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages or the nightly one https://launchpad.net/~openquake/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages?

Have you run 'apt update' prior to 'apt install'?

Cheers,
Daniele

DANIELE VIGANÒ | System Administrator | Skype dennyv85 | +39 0382 5169882
GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE MODEL | working together to assess risk

mehdi mousavi

Apr 16, 2018, 6:12:32 AM4/16/18
to OpenQuake Users
Dear Daniele
- Stable branch
- yes. I run "apt update". But the problem exists yet.
what's the problem? How can I fix it?

Mehdi

Matteo Nastasi

Apr 16, 2018, 8:10:49 AM4/16/18
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mehdi,

could you send us, please, the output of the command below:
apt-cache policy python3-oq-libs

Regards, Matteo.

On 16/04/2018 12:12, mehdi mousavi wrote:
> Dear Daniele
> - Stable branch
> - yes. I run "apt update". But the problem exists yet.
> what's the problem? How can I fix it?
>
> Mehdi
>
> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 12:24:34 PM UTC+3, Daniele Viganò wrote:
>
> Dear Luis,
>
> are you on the stable branch
> https://launchpad.net/~openquake/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Eopenquake/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages>
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Eopenquake/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages>?
>
> Have you run 'apt update' prior to 'apt install'?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniele
>

> On 04/16/2018 10:54 AM, mehdi mousavi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install oq on Ubuntu 16.04
>>
>> But when i execute the command: /sudo apt-get install
>> python3-oq-engine
>>
>> /
>> I'm getting dependency errors
>> /
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  python3-oq-engine : Depends: python3-oq-libs (>= 1.6.0~) but it
>> is not installable
>> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>
>> /
>>
>> /Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
>> Release:    16.04
>> Codename:    xenial
>>
>> /
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>> Thanks
>>
>> Luis Zamudio
>> --
>
> --
> *DANIELE VIGANÒ* | System Administrator | *Skype* dennyv85 | +39
> 0382 5169882
> *GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE MODEL* | working together to assess risk
> *GEM - *globalquakemodel.org <http://www.globalquakemodel.org/> |
> *T - *@GEMwrld <http://twitter.com/GEMwrld> | *F - *GEMwrld
> <http://www.facebook.com/GEMwrld>
>
> --

MATTEO NASTASI | Senior Software Engineer | +39-0382-5169865
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

mehdi mousavi

Apr 16, 2018, 8:41:29 AM4/16/18
to OpenQuake Users
following the command
apt-cache policy python3-oq-libs
the below output was appeared:
python3-oq-libs:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:

Matteo Nastasi

Apr 16, 2018, 8:53:48 AM4/16/18
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mehdi,
could you provide the output of this command too:
apt-cache policy python3-oq-engine

  Regards, Matteo.
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Eopenquake/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Eopenquake/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages
> >     *GEM - *globalquakemodel.org <http://globalquakemodel.org>
> <http://www.globalquakemodel.org/
> <http://www.globalquakemodel.org/>> |
> >     *T - *@GEMwrld <http://twitter.com/GEMwrld> | *F - *GEMwrld
> >     <http://www.facebook.com/GEMwrld
> <http://www.facebook.com/GEMwrld>>
> >
> > --
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> --
> MATTEO NASTASI | Senior Software Engineer | +39-0382-5169865
> GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE MODEL | working together to assess risk
> GEM - globalquakemodel.org <http://globalquakemodel.org> | T -
> @GEMwrld | F - GEMwrld

mehdi mousavi

Apr 16, 2018, 9:43:47 AM4/16/18
to OpenQuake Users
I found the following response when run: "apt-cache policy python3-oq-engine"

python3-oq-engine:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.0.0-1~xenial01
  Version table:
     3.0.0-1~xenial01 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/openquake/ppa/ubuntu xenial/main i386 Packages
>     <javascript:>>.
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

>     --
>     --
>     MATTEO NASTASI | Senior Software Engineer | +39-0382-5169865
>     GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE MODEL | working together to assess risk
>     GEM - globalquakemodel.org <http://globalquakemodel.org> | T -
>     @GEMwrld | F - GEMwrld

Matteo Nastasi

Apr 16, 2018, 10:01:30 AM4/16/18
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mehdi,

to be sure about your problem we ask you to provide the output of these
couple of commands:

dpkg --print-architecture

uname -a

Please remind that the OpenQuake Engine suite works only on a 64bits OS
(more at:
https://github.com/gem/oq-engine/blob/master/doc/faq.md#32bit-support )

Kind regards, Matteo.
> <http://globalquakemodel.org> <http://globalquakemodel.org>
> >     <http://www.globalquakemodel.org/
> <http://www.globalquakemodel.org/>
> >     <http://www.globalquakemodel.org/
> <http://www.globalquakemodel.org/>>> |
> >     >     *T - *@GEMwrld <http://twitter.com/GEMwrld> | *F -
> *GEMwrld
> >     >     <http://www.facebook.com/GEMwrld
> <http://www.facebook.com/GEMwrld>
> >     <http://www.facebook.com/GEMwrld
> <http://www.facebook.com/GEMwrld>>>
> >     >
> >     > --
> >     > You received this message because you are subscribed to
> the Google
> >     > Groups "OpenQuake Users" group.
> >     > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
> >     it, send
> >     > an email to openquake-use...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> >     > <mailto:openquake-use...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>
> >     <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
> >     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
> >

> >     --
> >     --
> >     MATTEO NASTASI | Senior Software Engineer | +39-0382-5169865
> >     GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE MODEL | working together to assess risk
> >     GEM - globalquakemodel.org <http://globalquakemodel.org>
> <http://globalquakemodel.org> | T -
> >     @GEMwrld | F - GEMwrld
> >
> > --
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> --
> MATTEO NASTASI | Senior Software Engineer | +39-0382-5169865
> GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE MODEL | working together to assess risk
> GEM - globalquakemodel.org <http://globalquakemodel.org> | T -
> @GEMwrld | F - GEMwrld

mehdi mousavi

Apr 16, 2018, 1:00:00 PM4/16/18
to OpenQuake Users
Dear Matteo
The resulted outputs are respectively:

i386

Linux mehd-ThinkPad-Edge-E540 4.13.0-38-generic #43~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 14 17:46:42 UTC 2018 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Best

Daniele Viganò

Apr 16, 2018, 1:13:27 PM4/16/18
to openqua...@googlegroups.com

Dear Mehdi,

unfortunately, due to numeric precision requirements and memory limitations, the OpenQuake Engine is designed for a 64bit operating system. Since version 2.3 of the Engine (released in Feb. 2017) we are not supporting 32bit (i686) systems anymore and thus we are not providing packages for such architecture (see our FAQ page: https://github.com/gem/oq-engine/blob/master/doc/faq.md)

A 64bit OS can run 32bit applications but not the opposite. To be able to install the OpenQuake Engine you have to install Ubuntu for 64bit (please note that Ubuntu partially dropped support for its 32bit releases starting from Ubuntu 17.10); please note that your machine is capable to host a 64bit OS.

Best regards,