Can OpenQuake work with (very) partial data?

leemor...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2017, 7:30:47 AM11/14/17
to OpenQuake Users
Hi,

I'm an historian working on premodern earthquakes in the Eastern Mediterranean. I came across OpenQuake and the other modeling tools, and have little knowledge of seismology beyond the basics and no past experience with modeling (I do know how to code). I'm looking for tools to allow me to:
1. model an earthquake based on very little concrete data (i.e. magnitude and epicenter location estimates), and which would give at least some data about the geographical extent of earthquake damage. In other words, for example: would an earthquake that hits city A also hit another city B?
2. model earthquake damage. Assuming traditional building styles, is there any tool that would estimate damage based on the same rudimentary estimates of magnitude and epicenter?

I would very much appreciate it if someone could verify that I could do such modeling with OpenQuake, or alternatively point me to somewhere else (and I understand that any outcomes would be very tentative because of the lack of data)

Thanks!

Marco Pagani

Nov 14, 2017, 9:46:20 AM11/14/17
to OpenQuake Users

Hi,

Please refer to the Openquake User’s Manual
https://storage.globalquakemodel.org/openquake/support/documentation/engine/#manual-latest-stable

You should look in particular to the Earthquake hazard and risk scenario examples.

Thanks

Marco

leemor...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 1:25:33 AM11/17/17