OQ Fragility database

men...@g.clemson.edu

Jun 5, 2016, 11:02:30 PM6/5/16
to OpenQuake Users
Hello OQ developer,

I was in need of some building fragility functions and lucky OQ has a rich database on that (https://platform.openquake.org/vulnerability/list).

I was able to download the JSON or NRML files but my plot is way off from what's shown on the website, not sure what's wrong please help.

e.g. for Fragility Singhal_Kiremidjian_96_RC_Lowrise, the distribution keyword is lognormal with the parameters:

           minor     moderate       severe    collapse
Mean  1.6005      2.1342        3.4767      5.7515
SD      0.66422   0.99164      1.8577       3.754

I tried normal and lognormal they are both off, and I have similar problem with other fragility functions as well.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Eric

Vitor Silva

Jun 6, 2016, 4:56:09 AM6/6/16
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
Dear Eric,

In some statistical packages (e.g. Excel, Matlab and python/numpy/scypy) you have to convert the mean and standard deviation (provided in the database - m and s) of the log–normally distributed random variable to the associated logarithmic mean and logarithmic standard deviation (μ and σ). These two parameters are the mean and standard deviation of the natural logarithm of the random variable, and represent the values usually used by the aforementioned tools. In this link you can find the formulae to perform this conversion.

Best regards,
Vitor

men...@g.clemson.edu

Jun 6, 2016, 9:03:32 PM6/6/16