Re: source characterization for subduction zone

Graeme Weatherill

Feb 26, 2018, 3:01:30 AM2/26/18
to openqua...@googlegroups.com
The geometry of the complex fault source is defined by a set of edges: upper, intermediate (can be one, many or none at all) and lower. Each edge is a line in 3D space described by the longitude (decimal degrees), latitude (decimal degrees) and depth (km). An edge does not need to be level, and points in the same edge can have different depths. The points describing each edge must be ordered such that if one were to walk along them then the fault would be dipping to one's right (e.g. if I want to describe a complex fault dipping due east then I should enter the points on each edge from south to north). Failure to do this last part will return an incorrect geometry error message.

Depending on the complexity of the subduction zone there can be other errors that turn up. For example, although the source can accommodate flattening (i.e. decreasing dip with depth) of the subduction interface, actual reversals (i.e. lower edges at shallower depths than preceding ones) may also create problems (though in these cases it is questionable whether a conventional single-interface model would be appropriate to begin with).

On 26/02/2018 05:23, ree...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to calculate hazard for subduction zone, but i don't get it what i should input in complex fault source, especially the third column after the long and lat

Thank you