Running OpenQuake for the first time

ilaria_mosca

May 2, 2013, 6:47:28 AM5/2/13
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Dear OQ-developers,
I have installed and compilled OpenQuake following the instructions from the link: https://github.com/gem/oq-engine/wiki/Installing-the-OpenQuake-Engine
Then I run the software typing the line suggested in the same website: openquake --run-hazard=/usr/openquake/engine/demos/simple_fault_demo_hazard/job.ini --no-distribute
and I got the same output on the terminal. This means that I installed OQ correctly.
However, I don't understand where the output files are located.
In many emails of this forum you speak about the flag --config-file=../demos/simple_fault_demo_hazard/config.gem \ --output-type=xml . When I type this I get an error message that --cong-file does't exist.
I have understood that the path of output files is in config.gem, but I don't manage to use the file ../simple_fault_demo_hazard/conf.gem. What is wrong? Did I make some mistakes in the installation?
I'm using OpenQuake from Ubuntu 12.04 in VMwave player.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Kind regards,
Ilaria

Luigi Panzeri

May 2, 2013, 7:02:49 AM5/2/13
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ilaria,

The default behavior of OQ-Engine is to store the computed outputs only in the database.

In order to export an output to a file, you have two options.

1) After the calculation, issue the command

openquake --export-hazard <id> <target_dir>

where <id> is the output ID displayed after a successful calculation run (in the example it is one of the numbers between 1 and 18) and <target_dir> is the directory you want to store your outputs into.

Same instructions apply for risk (with --export-risk)

2) Run a calculation and export all the outputs with a single command invokation. E.g.

openquake --run-hazard /path/to/your/job.ini --exports xml

Lars Butler

May 2, 2013, 7:05:43 AM5/2/13
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ilaria,

To run a hazard calculation, you should use the --run-hazard option. You can run that with --run-hazard=../demos/simple_fault_demo_hazard/job.ini. The config.gem file in that directory is obsolete and should be removed; sorry about that. To answer your question, you can set the output directory in the job.ini, using the `export_dir` parameter. For example: https://github.com/gem/oq-engine/blob/master/demos/simple_fault_demo_hazard/job.ini#L45.

In the latest version of oq-engine, --config-file is used only for configuration the computation environment; in most cases, you don't need to use this option. Run openquake with the --help option for more info.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Lars

ilaria_mosca

May 2, 2013, 7:41:20 AM5/2/13
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the answer!  Indeed, typing the commands  openquake --export-hazard <id> <target_dir> I managed to move the output files from the database to another directory.
Kind regards,
Ilaria

ilaria_mosca

May 2, 2013, 7:44:40 AM5/2/13
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
I have just read the email from Lars.
Thanks a lot to both Luigi and Lars for the answers to my questions.
Kind regards,
Ilaria