large rabbitMQ log file

Bart Vleminckx

Jan 2, 2014, 8:30:29 AM1/2/14
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

We did a large hazard calculation with OpenQuake and got the problem that there was not enough disk space. It seems that the rabbitMQ log file gets really large (already 10 GB). It writes multiple logs per second (most of them about TCP connections). We tried to change the log levels of rabbitMQ, celery and OpenQuake, but it keeps writing the "TCP connection" logs. Is there a solution for this problem? We also think such massive logging slows down the calculations, no?

Best regards,

Bart Vleminckx
Royal Observatory of Belgium

Bart Vleminckx

Jan 3, 2014, 4:19:41 AM1/3/14
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

We found a solution. On the rabbitMQ website you can find the latest version of rabbitMQ (not standard included in Ubuntu 12.04), which supports different log levels. However is it normal that so many TCP connections start and close with OpenQuake?

Best regards and a Happy New Year!

Bart Vleminckx
Royal Observatory of Belgium

Daniele Viganò

Jan 3, 2014, 4:49:29 AM1/3/14
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi bart,
sorry for the late response.

Yes, that's normal. OpenQuake iterate a TaskSet for results, asking results to RabbitMQ/amqp (see https://github.com/gem/oq-engine/blob/master/openquake/engine/utils/tasks.py#L64)

But we discovered that lots of connections are left in TIME_WAIT. This issue is caused by CELERY_ACKS_LATE and we are investigating about it.
If you upgraded RabbitMQ to a version >= 3.0 the issue is already fixed on the RabbiMQ side.

Regards,
Daniele