duration of Disaggregation

Bart Vleminckx

Jan 13, 2014, 5:36:18 AM1/13/14
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

We ran the disaggregation for a large hazard calculation, after a few days we reached 1%... (with 16 cores). So we did a small test in which the calculation of the hazard curve takes about 30 seconds and the the disaggregation part 6 minutes. When we set the bin parameters that there is only one bin for magnitude, distance, coordinates and epsilon (so no disaggregation), the disaggregation part still takes 5 minutes... How is this possible?

Best regards,

Bart Vleminckx
Royal Observatory of Belgium

Damiano Monelli

Jan 13, 2014, 6:11:00 AM1/13/14
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bart,

the reason why hazard curves calculation is much faster than disaggregation is because the first is parallelized over sources, while the
second is parallelized over sites. In other words, for calculating a disaggregation matrix for a site, calculations for all sources are done in
a single task.

Having said that, we have also experienced very long computation times associated with a disaggregation calculation, and we are planning
to revise it to improve the situation.

In the meantime I would suggest you to simplify as much as possible the job.ini file to reduce the number of calculations requested (that is split the
big calculation into a set of smaller calculations). For instance just consider a single IMT and a single POE. If you are interested in only magnitude-distance-
epsilon disaggregation just put very large values for the 'coordinate_bin_width' so that you reduce the size of the full disaggregation matrix.

Best regards,

Damiano