Reiner's Printed Drag Feeder Design

Reiner Schmidt

Jan 4, 2017, 4:45:47 PM1/4/17
to OpenPnP
This is my design for a manual drag feeder. The idea with this design is that it can be removed from a stack of reels without upsetting the other reels. I want to use OpenPnP for prototyping and I think its important to be able to switch out a lot of components frequently. The take up of the top plastic film will still be done by a stack of those friction wheels things. This
  • feeder is 3D printed
  • uses a 3D printed spring to keep tension on the tape
  • mounts on 30mm extruded aluminum
  • can be mounted and removed by lifting the front of the feeder (without upsetting other feeders)
  • the feeder is designed to bend when being removed (this only seems to work with ABS, if PLA is used it cracks). There is a cutout feature in the design that allows the bending.
  • a set screw is featured at the bottom to hold it in place. I have thermal brass inserts for the threading but it could just be threaded plastic
  • can be adjusted to any size
  • printed in less than an hour at 0.2mm layer height

A downside to this design is that the feeders are dependent on each other (the opposite feeder holds on edge of the tape). In this way there always has to be one empty feeder at the end of a stack. Maybe I can make an end stopper later to solve this.

Top view of the feeder

feeders mounted and holding reels

different tape widths

the set screw underneath the unit

Jason von Nieda

Jan 4, 2017, 6:16:58 PM1/4/17
to OpenPnP
Looks good Reiner! Do you have a video showing it in action?

Jason

Reiner Schmidt

Jan 4, 2017, 6:29:58 PM1/4/17
to OpenPnP
Not yet. I am still building my machine (waiting for a speedy e-packet with my nozzles in it). But as soon as the machines running Ill get a video up.

Daniel Dumitru

Jan 5, 2017, 3:42:42 AM1/5/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Looks very interesting ! I like that keeps roll as well.
Are you planning to share this design with list members ? I would like to try to print it !

Br,
Daniel

Reiner Schmidt

Jan 5, 2017, 12:47:21 PM1/5/17
to OpenPnP
Attached is the 8mm feeder. Once I have perfected it I will make all other widths as well. If you want to test it for me it would be appreciated. My machine isn't running yet.

It prints very well on an Ultimaker and I have just fixed my i3 so I will do a test on that as well.

Where is a good place to post these files? Is there some repo for openPnP hardware or should I just put it on git somewhere?
rms_drag_feeder8.STEP
rms_drag_feeder8.STL

Jason von Nieda

Jan 5, 2017, 12:52:25 PM1/5/17
to OpenPnP
Reiner,

I suggest putting the files in a repo on Github. If you haven't used it before, it's free and easy to create a repo and upload some files. You can do it entirely without using Git, even. It's a good way to get a nice, permanent, versioned link to the files. Just create a new repo and hit the Upload Files button.

Jason

Reiner Schmidt

Jan 5, 2017, 1:36:19 PM1/5/17
to OpenPnP
Thanks Jason,

files can now be found here > https://github.com/Mango-kid/openPNP-hardware

Jason von Nieda

Jan 5, 2017, 1:39:19 PM1/5/17
to OpenPnP
Nicely done Reiner! Would you mind if I put a link to it on http://openpnp.org/hardware?

Thanks,
Jason

Reiner Schmidt

Jan 5, 2017, 1:46:08 PM1/5/17
to OpenPnP
Yeah that would be awesome!

Jason von Nieda

Jan 5, 2017, 1:49:40 PM1/5/17
to OpenPnP
Done! http://openpnp.org/hardware/

Please let me know if you'd like the link adjusted at all.

Thanks for posting your design!

Jason

DAniel Dumitru

Jan 5, 2017, 11:33:48 PM1/5/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for posting those details.

I hope that you don't mind if I remember a bit our "predecessor" :

https://www.vbesmens.de/en/pick-and-place/automatic-feeder.html

It has been copied as well by a fellow from my country on his commercial machine :
http://visionbot.net/

I hope that I don't "twist you around the tail" but I feel like adding one servomotor and one micro-switch to this feeder would make a nice and configurable feeder.

I am a bit concerned how would this work on thin black plastic tapes

I like a lot ideea to avoid using main X-Y gantry to actuate feeders (pushing levers or dragging pins).

Daniel

Avast logo

Reiner Schmidt

Jan 6, 2017, 6:53:35 PM1/6/17
to OpenPnP
Yeah I'm not really a fan of using the head to actuate the feeder. Its dead accurate but its time consuming.

I really like the Gurtfeeder, I think its the simplest possible autofeeder design. The way he detects the tape moving isn't great, I don't think it will work for thin tapes. I would use an optical one but there is clear tape for a lot of larger (0805, 1210) capacitors.

I do intend to eventually design an autofeeder but I need to get my machine running first.

Lamont Cranston

Jan 8, 2017, 8:19:38 PM1/8/17
to OpenPnP
Does anybody now an inexpensive source for sprocket wheels with the correct teeth for SMT tape?

I tried the usual suspects (aliexpress, ebay, etc) but I am obviously not using the right search terms.

I figure if you buy enough they must be really cheap; it's just a metal gear. Looking for 50-100 if the price is right. Having them custom-made just doesn't feel right; there must be plenty of companies already stamping these things out on a massive scale.

Thanks,

Jason von Nieda

Jan 8, 2017, 8:49:54 PM1/8/17
to OpenPnP
This has always been one of the hard parts of prototyping feeders. I have never been able to find a source for tape sprockets and I have looked very hard. In the past, people have had good luck laser cutting them out of thin stainless steel.

With all the people making feeders now, if we can decide on a size for a sprocket I would be happy to fund a manufacturing run of a few hundred of them so we can all have plenty to work with.

Jason

Anthony Webb

Jan 8, 2017, 9:14:55 PM1/8/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
That is a good idea Jason. Peter has one that I think is probably a pretty reasonable size. I have had luck printing them but it requires a pretty accurate printer and good bed adhesion and leveling to be any good at all. Cutting them out of something durable would be preferable.

Sent from my iPhone

Oz-Ron

Jan 8, 2017, 9:48:51 PM1/8/17
to OpenPnP

How about these?

Maybe we can get a good deal for a bulk order?

Cheers,
Ron

Anthony Webb

Jan 8, 2017, 9:54:04 PM1/8/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I guess in addition to the size we would have to come up with a standard shaft size too?  Nice find Ron.

Sent from my iPhone

Jason von Nieda

Jan 8, 2017, 9:59:44 PM1/8/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Those look pretty interesting. That internal gear has some very shallow teeth. I wonder if it's advanced by a ratcheting mechanism rather than a driven gear?

Jason

Oz-Ron

Jan 8, 2017, 10:18:48 PM1/8/17
to OpenPnP

Jason von Nieda

Jan 8, 2017, 10:29:51 PM1/8/17
to OpenPnP
Very similar / the same things are on AliExpress for a *lot* more cash: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170108192830&SearchText=smt+feeder+sprocket

Makes me wonder if the prices on Alibaba are legit, or if maybe they are only for massive quantities.

Jason

Oz-Ron

Jan 8, 2017, 10:51:50 PM1/8/17
to OpenPnP
Jason,
Easy way to find out.  I will request a quote for the Samsung - 200pcs and see what they come back with.
Also, will see if I can find the matching pawl as a spare part.  They are ratcheting for sure, but that seems quite a good system.

(May not be the ones to use, but at least see if the pricing is valid.)

Cheers,
Ron

Jason von Nieda

Jan 8, 2017, 10:58:40 PM1/8/17
to OpenPnP
Sounds good! I'm interested to hear what they have to say.

Oz-Ron

Jan 9, 2017, 2:14:41 AM1/9/17
to OpenPnP
Jason,
This is the response:

The unit price of this part is $5/piece, we have stock of this item.

I note the listing has since been revised from $0.20 - $1.00, now $5 - $7.
Still pretty reasonable when you look at what is in it with the bronze bush & all.
Looks like a pawl & hub arm assembly would be about the same again if you wanted them.

Happy to price other sizes if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Ron

trentonc...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 5:56:44 PM1/9/17
to OpenPnP
Oz,

Please let us know when your placing an order, we'd be more than happy to get quite a few.