General backup strategy for OpenOLAT installation

Graham Conway

Mar 27, 2016, 4:52:27 PM3/27/16
to OpenOLAT, Paul Senn
HI

We are running OpenOLAT on amazon aws, and are thinking a backup would include

- backup of olatdata file
- backup of mysql database
- backup of tomcat directory tree.

I am wondering what others are doing, and if there is a recommended backup / recovery strategy with openOLAT

thanks,

Graham Conway

Paul Senn

Mar 28, 2016, 2:34:03 AM3/28/16
to Graham Conway, OpenOLAT
sounds good graham, I would say backup of olatdata directory and all all subdirectories right?

Sure post a question in the forum if you think we need more ideas.

Florian Gnägi

Mar 28, 2016, 7:33:58 AM3/28/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham

Yes, that is basically what you have to do.

Note that to have a really save backup the database and your filesystem must be in sync. The old-school way to achieve this is to stop OpenOLAT, dump the database, do the backup and then restart OpenOLAT. A better approach is to use a filesystem which can to snapshots, we use ZFS. If the database is on the same filesystem as the openolat data directory, the snapshot will be ok. This way you don’t have to stop OpenOLAT and it is much faster.

Personally I would still perform a database dump just in addition to the snapshot, just in case something went wrong. You can exclude the log tables to speed up the dump.

Cheers
Florian

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOLAT".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

Find me on skype  twitter xing linkedin

Graham Conway

Mar 31, 2016, 9:06:17 AM3/31/16
to OpenOLAT
Thanks Florian.

if we do the database dump in addition to the snapshot,  then you'd advise stopping olat right?

Thanks,

Graham

Florian Gnägi

Mar 31, 2016, 9:14:41 AM3/31/16
to open...@googlegroups.com
If you want your filesystem snapshot to be absolutely in consistency with the database dump – yes there is no other way. But you could also take the risk to have some inconsistency in an emergency situation. It depends on how long your backup process runs.

Best is to do snapshots in your VM or filesystem infrastructure. You don’t have to stop and everything is in sync.

Cheers
Florian