openolat and mailgun etc

Graham Conway

Nov 4, 2016, 11:00:03 AM11/4/16
to OpenOLAT, Paul Senn
Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience setting up openolat with a mail sending service such as mailgun

(sending emails has been a real pain point for us, as we keep getting bounced as spam despite a lot of twiddling with settings )

Oliver Kant

Nov 4, 2016, 11:23:04 AM11/4/16
to open...@googlegroups.com, Graham Conway, Paul Senn
Hi Graham,

No, we do not have any experience with this, but to anyone reading here: Help
is always welcome!

For me, this is a tough one, as I do not know enough about your layout and the
problems it is producing..

Do you use a mail relay server? We use a well known and powerful mail relay
provided to us by our hosting provider. But still, there are many ways this
can go wrong. Is your SPF record okay? If not, many mail providers will not
accept your mail. What percentage of your mails is making problems? Or is it
maybe just a single email provider blocking you? Is it a dynamic or fixed IP
address you are using? Is the server sending the mails in any way having an MX
record in DNS?

So any kind of additional information might help us solve this problem.

Cheers
Oliver

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOLAT
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
http://www.frentix.com | http://www.openolat.org

frentix GmbH
Oliver Kant
Hardturmstrasse 76
CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland

tel://+41-43-544-9000
fax://+41-43-544-9009

skype: live:oliver_1624

Graham Conway

Nov 4, 2016, 11:27:05 AM11/4/16
to Oliver Kant, open...@googlegroups.com, Paul Senn
HI Oliver,

We have had ongoing problems. We are on an amazon instance sending emails directly from the server, (not using amazon SES).

We have done a bunch of configuration with our mail dns provider (godaddy) and with amazon.

we are having trouble with certain institutions when they receive mail from us it ends up getting bounced unless they white list us.

The main problem is we are not email experts, so we were thinking a third party provider would have solved all the configuration gotchas.

thanks Olivier.

like you said, any suggestions welcomed.

Oliver Kant

Nov 4, 2016, 11:45:33 AM11/4/16
to open...@googlegroups.com, Graham Conway, Paul Senn
Hi Graham,

I am not sure if Amazon is the right choice for this. You would have to go
through a lot of pain to get this working when mail administration is not one
of your topics.
If you do have a working email server, you could create an account and use it
to send mails out for you. Maybe this would work from mailgun just as fine, I
never tried that.

The options you can use to set your favourite mailserver in the file
olat.local.properties are:
smtp.from=
smtp.host=
smtp.port=
smtp.pwd=
smtp.sslCheckCertificate= <-true or false
smtp.sslEnabled= <-true or false
smtp.starttls= <-true or false
smtp.timeout=
smtp.user=