OpenNI + SensorKinect -> Failed to set USB interface (Solution)

Otto Naderer

Apr 3, 2012, 8:06:57 AM4/3/12
to OpenNI
I just wanted to write a quick heads-up for everyone who's been
recently experiencing troubles with the XBox360 Kinect over avin2 on
recent Linux distros.
Especially this affects a call to CreateProductionTree().
I know that the solution can be found here and there but since it's
taken me quite a while to find it, here's the summary:
A recently introduced kernel module named gspca_kinect disallows
OpenNi to take over control over the Kinect.
Just rmmod the module 'rmmod gspca_kinect' and enjoy your Kinect
again. To be reboot-safe, you can also blacklist the module. Follow
your distro's blacklisting mechanics.

Cheers,
o.

Xavier Mendez

Apr 4, 2012, 4:33:16 AM4/4/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com

I just wanted to write a quick heads-up for everyone who's been
recently experiencing troubles with the XBox360 Kinect over avin2 on
recent Linux distros.
Especially this affects a call to CreateProductionTree().
I know that the solution can be found here and there but since it's
taken me quite a while to find it, here's the summary:
A recently introduced kernel module named gspca_kinect disallows
OpenNi to take over control over the Kinect.
Exactly, this module allows Kinect to be used as a standard camera,
so you can record video from it with the applications you're used to.
Thus, it conflicts with OpenNI when trying to access the Kinect.

Just rmmod the module 'rmmod gspca_kinect' and enjoy your Kinect
again. To be reboot-safe, you can also blacklist the module. Follow
your distro's blacklisting mechanics.
On Ubuntu, it would be:
  sudo modprobe -r gspca_kinect
And then blacklisting to avoid it to be auto-loaded on boot:
  sudo sh -c 'echo "blacklist gspca_kinect" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-kinect.conf'