World Factbook - meta/categories.json - Count(er) of All Categories

Gerald Bauer

Nov 5, 2015, 5:21:14 AM11/5/15
to openmundi
Hello,

If anyone follows along I've added a new meta/catgories.json [1]
file to the /factbook.json repo. Why?

The new meta/categories.json lets you browse / analyze the world
factbook structure in all its glory. Example:

"Introduction": {
"count": 261,
"Background": {
"count": 261,
},
"Preliminary statement": {
"count": 1
}
},
"Geography": {
"count": 261,
"Location": {
"count": 260,
}, ...

For example, this reads as:

- 261 profiles (pages) have an Introduction section.
- 261 profiles (pages) have a Background section in Introduction.
- 1 profile (page) has a Preliminary statement section in Introduction.
- 261 profiles (pages) have a Geography section.
- 260 profiles (pages) have a Location section in Geography.
and so on.

The file includes all "extra" custom sections including typos e.g.:

"Languages": {
"count": 241,
"note": { "count": 60 },
"ntoe": { "count": 1 },
"overseas departments": { "count": 1 },

Cheers.

[1] github.com/factbook/factbook.json/blob/master/meta/categories.json

Gerald Bauer

Nov 8, 2015, 7:48:02 AM11/8/15
to openmundi
Hello,

If anyone follows along - I've added a new pretty printed version
(for humans ;-) [1] that also include codes for entries with less than
ten profiles e.g.

## Introduction (261)

- Background (260)
- Preliminary statement (1 - ee)
- (1 - ay)

## Geography (261)

- Location (259)
- metropolitan France (1 - fr)
- Geographic coordinates (258)
- metropolitan France (1 - fr)
- Map references (260)
- metropolitan France (1 - fr)
- Area (260)
- total (257)
- land (249)
- water (248)
- note (53)

Cheers.

[1] github.com/worlddb/factbook/blob/master/CATEGORIES.md