awesome-world - A collection of awesome world (countries, cities, flags, codes, etc.) datasets

Gerald Bauer

Apr 27, 2015, 10:27:21 AM4/27/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've started a new awesome list in the tradition of
awesome-<you-name-it> on GitHub. What's news?

The awesome-world [1] repo collects awesome world datasets (e.g. for
countries, regions, cities, oceans, rivers, latitude/longitude, maps,
flags, codes etc.)

Still early and rough. Anything missing? Contributions welcome.

Cheers.

[1] github.com/planetopendata/awesome-world

Eckhard Licher

Apr 28, 2015, 1:57:19 AM4/28/15
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gerald,

good idea. I will check my link collection for additions.

For now only this:
Geonames data base http://www.geonames.org/
Awsome: tree view of geonames data base http://geotree.geonames.org/
Administrative divisions of contries http://www.statoids.com/
On-line translation of the world factbook into some 100 languages (by google translate) https://messetool.vdma.org/messetool/cal/view_static/de/WorldFactbook/index.md
Flags of the world http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/

Thanks for mentioning the open world factbook.

Did you find a solution for the changed HTML in your WFB scraper?

Cheers

Eckhard

Gerald Bauer

Apr 28, 2015, 2:51:01 AM4/28/15
to Eckhard Licher, open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thanks for the great additions. Will try to get the list updated later today.

About the factbook HTML change / update - sorry will have to wait
for now. Keep it up with the openfactbook project. Cheers.

Eckhard Licher

Apr 28, 2015, 2:45:17 PM4/28/15
to open...@googlegroups.com, eckhard...@googlemail.com
Hello,

some more links. Most links I accumulated over time are not that useful. In addition to the links I sent this morning the following might be somewhat interesting.

Americas Open Geocode (AOG) database http://opengeocode.org/download.php#cow

More World Data Projects https://github.com/worlddata

Free GIS Data http://freegisdata.rtwilson.com/

Cheers

Eckhard

Gerald Bauer

Apr 28, 2015, 5:32:10 PM4/28/15
to Eckhard Licher, open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thanks again for the world dataset links.

> More World Data Projects https://github.com/worlddata

I started the worlddata org ;-) The plan is to add the links to the
awesome-world list and than close-down the org.

Thanks again. Cheers.