Auto Registration failing

Netdiver

Mar 13, 2008, 11:51:16 AM3/13/08
to OpenMeetings User
Dear all,
I downloded and installed Openmeetings on an Ubuntu 7.10 machine. In
the same server I have installed Postfix and set up SMTP AUTH.
I can't make the auto registration work. After inserting all fields in
the registration form, Openmeetings fails registration with "Error:
Invalid EMail".
I have turned on red5 logging and checked postfix log.
Openmeetings connects with the smtp server, sends an HELO command,
then an exception is thrown.
I paste here the stack trace of the exception:

[ERROR] 2008-03-13 15:44:07,014 pool-3-thread-14:( MailHandler.send )
[mail send]
javax.mail.MessagingException: 501 Syntax: HELO hostname

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueCommand(SMTPTransport.java:
1363)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.helo(SMTPTransport.java:838)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:
375)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:297)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:156)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:105)
at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:168)
at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:98)
at org.xmlcrm.utils.mail.MailHandler.send(MailHandler.java:104)
at org.xmlcrm.utils.mail.MailHandler.sendMail(MailHandler.java:46)
at
org.xmlcrm.app.data.user.Emailmanagement.sendMail(Emailmanagement.java:
221)
at
org.xmlcrm.app.data.user.Usermanagement.registerUserInit(Usermanagement.java:
785)
at
org.xmlcrm.app.data.user.Usermanagement.registerUser(Usermanagement.java:
729)
at
org.xmlcrm.app.remote.MainService.registerUserByObject(MainService.java:
163)
at
39)
at
25)
at org.red5.server.service.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:
217)
at org.red5.server.service.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:
123)
at org.red5.server.net.rtmp.RTMPHandler.invokeCall(RTMPHandler.java:
163)
at org.red5.server.net.rtmp.RTMPHandler.onInvoke(RTMPHandler.java:
435)
at
org.red5.server.net.rtmp.BaseRTMPHandler.messageReceived(BaseRTMPHandler.java:
143)
at
org.red5.server.net.rtmp.RTMPMinaIoHandler.messageReceived(RTMPMinaIoHandler.java:
120)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain
$TailFilter.messageReceived(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:570)
at
org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:
299)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access
$1100(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:53)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl
$1.messageReceived(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)
at
org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java:
220)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter
$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(ExecutorFilter.java:264)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

What should I do to make Openmeetings work?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Netdiver

Sebastian Wagner

Mar 13, 2008, 12:01:00 PM3/13/08
to openmeet...@googlegroups.com
hmm you cannot bypass the mail-handler at the moment.
"Error:Invalid EMail".
is a message java-mail-library should throw before sending a message. It should be a mail adress at least with name + @ + domainname + . + top-level-domain
like:
exa...@example.com
all other errors should be connected to your mail-server.

sebastian

2008/3/13, Netdiver <lorenzo...@gmail.com>:

--
Sebastian Wagner
http://www.webbase-design.de

Netdiver

Mar 14, 2008, 4:24:14 AM3/14/08
to OpenMeetings User
Thanks for your reply.
It seems that the Java Mail Library sends an HELO command without the
hostname, while the correct syntax is "HELO <hostname>", and my SMTP
server, Postfix-based, is replying:
"501 Syntax: HELO hostname"
requiring the hostname after the HELO command.
I tried to lower postfix requirements about the hostname issued after
the HELO command, but I think it is not possible to remove the
parameter completely.

I also found this FAQ in http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/FAQ.html
:
Q: I get "MessagingException: 501 HELO requires domain address" when
trying to send a message.
A: The SMTP provider uses the results of
InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName() in the SMTP HELO command. If
that call fails to return any data, no name is sent in the HELO
command. Check your JDK and name server configuration to ensure that
that call returns the correct data. You may also set the
"mail.smtp.localhost" property to the name you want to use for the
HELO command.

But, as I am a newbie, I can't figure out now what to change in my
Ubuntu box. I'll try to find out.