Make .rtreport permanently and in-memory

Stevo Novkovski

Jul 26, 2015, 4:15:34 PM7/26/15
to openlitespee...@googlegroups.com
After i start building monitoring service for openlitespeed i come with an idea of improving monitoring statistic.

First .rtreport counters are reset after ols restart. It will be good to have options to manually reset static counters (eq: TOT_REQS ) via command line.
Also it will be good to make it in-memory to reduce disk io and maybe flush to disk every minute.

With this kind of functionality we can easy make monitoring service like:

minute 1 : TOT_REQS 200
minute 2:  TOT_REQS 300
minute 3:  TOT_REQS 800

average between minute 1 and minute 2 : 1.6 request per second
average between minute 2 and minute 3 : 8.3 request per second

We can just lost 1 minute of statistics (those not flushed to disk) in case of server/hardware/ols failure witch is rare.

I think bold keys should be persistent

VERSION: LiteSpeed Web Server/Open/1.4.11
UPTIME: 07:09:24
BPS_IN: 0, BPS_OUT: 0, SSL_BPS_IN: 0, SSL_BPS_OUT: 0
MAXCONN: 2000, MAXSSL_CONN: 1000, PLAINCONN: 0, AVAILCONN: 2000, IDLECONN: 0, SSLCONN: 0, AVAILSSL: 1000
REQ_RATE []: REQ_PROCESSING: 0, REQ_PER_SEC: 0, TOT_REQS: 5
REQ_RATE [_AdminVHost]: REQ_PROCESSING: 0, REQ_PER_SEC: 0, TOT_REQS: 0
REQ_RATE [serverapp]: REQ_PROCESSING: 0, REQ_PER_SEC: 0, TOT_REQS: 0
EXTAPP [LSAPI] [] [php54]: CMAXCONN: 1000, EMAXCONN: 1000, POOL_SIZE: 1, INUSE_CONN: 0, IDLE_CONN: 1, WAITQUE_DEPTH: 0, REQ_PER_SEC: 2, TOT_REQS: 81134
BLOCKED_IP:
EOF

I understand that we can read this file every second but that is more for real statistic eq: 1 sec, but for long view monitoring, we need min 30s or 1 minute resolution.

What do you think about this?

David

Jul 27, 2015, 10:41:10 AM7/27/15
to openlitespee...@googlegroups.com
I did some research of doing the update of this feature, right now, it is not that easy to do it since need to do a lot of structure changes.
We may update the structure in the future, but right now we have some more important thing to do. Sorry for that.
And thanks for your feedback.
David

On 7/26/2015 4:15 PM, Stevo Novkovski wrote:
After i start building monitoring service for openlitespeed i come in several problems witch are easy and good to be changed.

One problem is that .rtreport counters are reset after ols restart. It will be good to have options to manually reset static counters (eq: TOT_REQS ) via command line.
Another problem is that for every request ols must write data to this file. Is it possible to make this in-memory for speed and have command line to read the same format?

Nginx have status page option witch can be accessed via url and i think data is saved in-memory.

What do you think about this?

George Wang

Jul 27, 2015, 10:41:12 AM7/27/15
to openlitespee...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stevo,

Thanks for the suggestions.
We will move the whole statistics to use some kind of persistent SHM
storage. But it will take some time to implement.

The .rtreport are not rewritten for each every request, but updated
every 5 to 10 seconds. So, speed usually is not an problem. If it bother
you, you could mount /tmp/lshttpd as a ramdisk.

We will implement a way to pull statistics from server with a HTTP
request, just like our Enterprise edition.

Best regards,
George

On 7/26/2015 4:15 PM, Stevo Novkovski wrote:
> After i start building monitoring service for openlitespeed i come in
> several problems witch are easy and good to be changed.
>

> One problem is that .rtreport counters are reset after ols restart. It
> will be good to have options to manually reset static counters (eq:
> TOT_REQS ) via command line.
> Another problem is that for every request ols must write data to this
> file. Is it possible to make this in-memory for speed and have command
> line to read the same format?
>
> Nginx have status page option witch can be accessed via url and i think
> data is saved in-memory.
>
> What do you think about this?

Stevo Novkovski

Jul 27, 2015, 12:53:45 PM7/27/15
to OpenLiteSpeed Development, gw...@litespeedtech.com
Good that you got my point, looking forward.