OLS External App: Web Server vs. Servlet Engine, bug and cache question

Franc Amour

Mar 28, 2018, 9:27:08 AM3/28/18
to OpenLiteSpeed Development
Posted in a few places, no replies for days. Hoping to have some luck here, especially since if I get this working I'll be a huge OLS product evangelist...

I am building a Docker image specifically for the latest stable version of OLS running on Debian, with the latest version of Lucee/Tomcat.

I had made some great success setting OLS up to use Lucee as a Servlet Engine -- 127.0.0.1:8009.  Script handler was for .cfm files to start, and i added a Servlet context.  All was well EXCEPT for form posts - for some crazy reason, a simple POST would simply spin until a 503 error. Nothing of note in the logs that I could find, and GETs all worked great.  This configuration was desireable since i was theoretically able to use the OLS cache module, and was on my way towards a custom config with ColdFusion to cache dynamic content similar to the WordPress plugin implementation, at least on a rudimentary scale.

Posted questions about why this issue would be happening, but there was just silence... not sure how to troubleshoot such an odd thing.

Anyway, I decided to take the other route - using Lucee/Tomcat as a backend web server and passing it dynamic requests that way (127.0.0.1:8888).  This is apparently less than ideal, for some performance reasons, but I'd be willing to live with it except... now I cant seem to get the OLS Cache module to work with it.  Is THAT normal? Does setting up OLS as a reverse proxy (which is what I'm pretty sure this second configuration is) mean giving up caching?  Why?

I'd rather run with the first implementation, if we can just get POSTs to work.  If I can get this working and optimized "out of the box", I intend to share my Docker configuration with the general public and announce its availability to the CF/Lucee community as a viable option for development and production deployment. But right now, it doesn't really make sense to publish it if I can't leverage the OLS caching, and obviously the broken POSTs issue precludes distribution at all with that configuration.

Little help?

George Wang

Mar 28, 2018, 5:34:39 PM3/28/18
to OpenLiteSpeed Development

It sounds like hitting a bug for the AJP protocol backend. Does it happen for both Lucee and Tomcat?
We may need to somehow reproduce this issue and have it fixed.

OLS Cache module should work with proxy backend as well.

Franc Amour

Mar 28, 2018, 6:45:22 PM3/28/18
to OpenLiteSpeed Development
I'm not sure if i can test for both Lucee and Tomcat, but since i have all this in a docker image, i could literally have you up and running with it in a few minutes, exactly as it is here, by pulling down a git repo i could share with you from bitbucket if you're interested.

You help me with my htaccess rules and that OLS cache, and I'm buying you a beer or three.  =D

George Wang

Mar 29, 2018, 6:25:55 PM3/29/18
to OpenLiteSpeed Development

Franc Amour

Mar 30, 2018, 8:14:35 AM3/30/18
to OpenLiteSpeed Development
WOW... that's awesome. what was the issue? Can i implement this right away somehow or should i just wait for the next official release?

George Wang

Mar 30, 2018, 10:30:27 AM3/30/18
to OpenLiteSpeed Development
If you are comfortable with compiling from source, you can use it now. :-)

Franc Amour

Mar 30, 2018, 10:37:11 AM3/30/18
to OpenLiteSpeed Development
Unfortunately, I'm actually not at the moment... I am truly a noob in that area right now. I guess that the bug fixes will eventually just be available via:

apt-get -y install openlitespeed

But is there an easy way to be notified if/when that becomes available?