Geological symbols

Agustin

Feb 2, 2016, 10:14:52 AM2/2/16
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Following a Qgis discussion [1] about geological symbols I’ve been able to download svg a set of svg geological symbols [2] and convert them to transparent png ones [3] that can be used in openjump. In the blog there is some staff about geoological symbols [4] but it’s already outdated and I didn’t found anything about texture. I’m wondering if there is any way of combining fill color and fill pattern in openjump. Other problem is that when selecting the symbol names are lost.
It will be great if svg symbols can be imported in OpenJump.
Best
PS Symbol names are still in german
[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/qgis...@lists.osgeo.org/msg32436.html
[2] http://www.teuderun.de/freie-software/texturen-symbole/
[3] https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9aagowr8vtvh32/geological_symbols.zip?dl=0
[4] http://ojwiki.soldin.de/index.php?title=Using_Your_Own_%28Geologic%29_Symbology

Giuseppe Aruta

Feb 2, 2016, 11:14:06 AM2/2/16
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Augustin,

Thanks for your contribution, I download a copy of these symbols and give a look

1) That page about point symbology in OpenJUMP is quite outdate. Actually OpenJUMP provides a range of point symbology located into OJ/lib/ext/VertexImages folder. Those symbols can be activated by CadPlan VertexSymbolsPlugIn (the third icon on the toolbar from right). This plugin provides only one symbol per layer, eventually, using  CadPlan VertexNotePlugin (the forth icon form the right) you can change symbols one-by-one. The manual for these plugin is available here: http://www.cadplan.com.au/OpenJump/VertexSymbolUserGuide.pdf

2) Regarding Areal symbology, OpenJUMP Plus provides another useful CadPlan plugin, JumpFillPatter, as you probably know, that allows to set whatever symbols in GIF, JPEG, PNG and SVG format: you only have to copy your symbols into OJ/lib/ext/FillPatterns folder(*). The manual for this plugin is available here: http://www.cadplan.com.au/OpenJump/JumpFillPatternUserGuide.pdf.

3) Note that JumpFillPatter, also reads WKT files. The advantage of this format is that you can change the color of you symbology using OpenJUMP embedded styling plugin. I suggest to convert SVG to WKT  if you want to use those symbols with different colors. In other case (for instance, like  a red background with blue horizontal stripes) you should draw your own symbols with a graphic software  (see again http://www.cadplan.com.au/OpenJump/JumpFillPatternUserGuide.pdf) . In my experience is much easier with a better results on maps renderer.

Best regards
Peppe

(*) this folder is fill with 0.5 Mb original Jump fill patterns. If you don't need them, you can easily erase them and substitute with other patterns

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
---

Agustin

Feb 9, 2016, 9:10:27 AM2/9/16
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Pepp,
Thanks for your help.
I have playing with symbology, but I didn’t get exactly what I was looking for. The fill pattern works great but the only way to change the background colour is drawing a new symbol. With a WKT test, results were not this good.
What I got is not the same pattern. I’ve attached both the original [1] (0GeoPat_Siltstein3.wkt) and the one I use in OpenJump [2] (0GeoPat_Siltstein3.wkt) that shows a different pattern.
[1] http://i63.tinypic.com/316x8hv.png
[2] http://i67.tinypic.com/j7aqfs.png
Best
Agustín