Keep openjump from reloading from database while editing its polygons?

Brian Neuer

Dec 13, 2016, 7:08:35 AM12/13/16
to openjump-users
Hi there,

I'm new here and I have my first question to this group due to problems with postgres usage in openjump:

I'm using openjump 1.8.0 and have a project with a layer that connects to a postgres database. Now I like to change some of the polygons on the database via openjump. I can do the editing but when I change the zoom level or move to another map section, openjump reloads from the database and the changes are gone. I already set the caching to "true" while connecting to the database, but that does only help for moving or zooming not "too far" from the original position of changing.

Could anybody help me with this problem or has an idea how to do the editing on a database without openjump reloading?

Thanks!

Jukka Rahkonen

Dec 13, 2016, 8:05:45 AM12/13/16
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, Brian Neuer
Hi,

Read the table from PostGIS with "Writable Data Store" option. It is
included at least in the OpenJUMP Plus nightly builds
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jump-pilot/files/OpenJUMP_snapshots/.
Notice, that the edits are saved by using the "Transaction manager" tool
that is located in the main toolbar and looks like "W(+)"

Originally OpenJUMP could only read PostGIS, not write, and with 32 bit
Java the memory was very limiting factor. If you have spatial index in
PostGIS and you have set either maximum feature count or scale limits in
OpenJUMP side you can browse however big database tables pretty fast
with OpenJUMP. This works still fine but it may feel odd to have one
driver for browsing and another one that supports also transactions.

-Jukka Rahkonen-