OJ image support

edgar....@web.de

Aug 20, 2013, 2:06:10 PM8/20/13
to jump users, jump devel
to all interested,

i just update OJ's image loader and came up with two more. idea is to be flexible and offer a wide range of formats or alternative loaders in case one simply does not want to open a specific file. the result is available form snapshots rev 3680 or later.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jump-pilot/files/OpenJUMP_snapshots/
find the changelog entry below.

please try out these changes and come back with results as i might have broken something, unintentionally ;). if you want to enforce a specific reader you can do so by selecting it from the dropdown list in the open dialog.

btw. these readers support world files only for georeferencing use filenaming as described here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_file#The_filename

thanks ede

2013-08-20 ede
* enhance image loading support
- add 2 new readers
Image (Commons) based on apache commons imaging
Image (ImageIO) based on jre imageio
- renamed old reader based on JAI to
Image (JAI)
- readers should be able to open archives now and find worldfiles
in there or in their basefolder
- readers gather their supported formats now internally, so the file
extension list has not to be hardcoded anymore. here's a list on my

IOGraphicImageFactory: [jpg, bmp, wbmp, jpeg, png, gif]
JAIGraphicImageFactory: [bmp, fpx, jpg, pnm, wbmp, tif, jpeg, png, gif, tiff]
CommonsImageFactory: [jpeg, tif, icns, ico, pbm, xpm, jb2, rgbe, jbig2, pcx,
psd, wbmp, tga, tiff, hdr, pam, xbm, jpg, bmp, pnm, png, ppm, dcx, pgm, gif]

- ImageIO and JAI supported formats may differ according to installed jre
or jai codec jars in classpath
- Commons supported formats are listed here
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-imaging/formatsupport.html

Agustin Diez-Castillo

Aug 21, 2013, 7:07:09 AM8/21/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, jump devel
Edgar,
I've tried with no this much of a success.
Some jpg files are read by JAI and IO but not by commons.
Geotiffs are mostly problematic

[1] error
/private/var/root/Documents/aromaticas_octubre.jpg extract null
/private/var/root/Documents/aromaticas_octubre.jpg extract null
org.apache.commons.imaging.ImageReadException: Only sequential, baseline JPEGs are supported at the moment
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.formats.jpeg.decoder.JpegDecoder.visitSegment(JpegDecoder.java:180)
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.formats.jpeg.JpegUtils.traverseJFIF(JpegUtils.java:87)
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.formats.jpeg.decoder.JpegDecoder.decode(JpegDecoder.java:428)
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.formats.jpeg.JpegImageParser.getBufferedImage(JpegImageParser.java:95)
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getBufferedImage(Imaging.java:1369)
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getBufferedImage(Imaging.java:1263)
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getBufferedImage(Imaging.java:1232)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.CommonsImage.initImage(CommonsImage.java:104)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.AbstractGraphicImage.computeEnvelope(AbstractGraphicImage.java:112)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.AbstractGraphicImage.getEnvelope(AbstractGraphicImage.java:104)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.ImageryLayerDataset.createImage(ImageryLayerDataset.java:80)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.io.file.ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.createFeature(ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.java:131)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.io.file.ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.open(ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.java:93)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.file.open.OpenFileWizard.run(OpenFileWizard.java:131)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.file.OpenWizardPlugIn.run(OpenWizardPlugIn.java:104)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.ui.task.TaskMonitorManager$TaskWrapper.run(TaskMonitorManager.java:152)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.AbstractGraphicImage.computeEnvelope(AbstractGraphicImage.java:115)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.AbstractGraphicImage.getEnvelope(AbstractGraphicImage.java:104)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.ImageryLayerDataset.createImage(ImageryLayerDataset.java:80)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.io.file.ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.createFeature(ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.java:131)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.io.file.ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.open(ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.java:93)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.file.open.OpenFileWizard.run(OpenFileWizard.java:131)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.file.OpenWizardPlugIn.run(OpenWizardPlugIn.java:104)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.ui.task.TaskMonitorManager$TaskWrapper.run(TaskMonitorManager.java:152)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
Done. Current committed memory:plugin.AbstractPlugIn.executing = Executing339 MB

[2] No error

/private/var/root/Documents/aromaticas_octubre.wld extract null
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /private/var/root/Documents/aromaticas_octubre.wld (No such file or directory)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.io.CompressedFile.openFile(CompressedFile.java:288)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.io.CompressedFile.openFile(CompressedFile.java:189)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.WorldFile.create(WorldFile.java:165)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.AbstractGraphicImage.<init>(AbstractGraphicImage.java:98)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.JAIGraphicImage.<init>(JAIGraphicImage.java:95)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.graphic.JAIGraphicImageFactory.createImage(JAIGraphicImageFactory.java:52)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.ImageryLayerDataset.createImage(ImageryLayerDataset.java:77)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.io.file.ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.createFeature(ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.java:131)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.io.file.ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.open(ReferencedImageFactoryFileLayerLoader.java:93)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.file.open.OpenFileWizard.run(OpenFileWizard.java:131)
    at org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.file.OpenWizardPlugIn.run(OpenWizardPlugIn.java:104)
    at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.ui.task.TaskMonitorManager$TaskWrapper.run(TaskMonitorManager.java:152)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
/private/var/root/Documents/aromaticas_octubre.jpg extract null
JAIGI: init file:/private/var/root/Documents/aromaticas_octubre.jpg
/private/var/root/Documents/aromaticas_octubre.jpg extract null
Done. Current committed memory:plugin.AbstractPlugIn.executing = Executing250 MB
Activating Select Features Tool
executing Open...
Activating Select Features Tool

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
---

edgar....@web.de

Aug 21, 2013, 7:32:37 AM8/21/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
thanks.

wrt GeoTiff. that is expected. these loaders do not support tiling and/or geotags in the Tiff header.

wrt [1] well it states that it does not support this kind of jpeg. try one of the other readers.

wrt [2] ok, i have to catch the FileNotFoundExceptions. if there is no world file, we simply do not use one.

..ede
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com <mailto:openjum...@googlegroups.com>. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.

Giuseppe Aruta

Aug 21, 2013, 9:54:33 AM8/21/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ede,
the issue was "Save Image to Raster" (which exports to TIF/TFW) tool of Sextante (Pirol) tools. Export to Tiff was  not working as as OpenJDK has no support for Tiff.
Before August, Stefan and I worked on an external plugin that would have used commons lib to substitute that plugin. The code is on SVN (http://sourceforge.net/p/jump-pilot/code/HEAD/tree/plug-ins/RasterLayerExport/)
regards
Peppe

edgar....@web.de

Aug 21, 2013, 10:00:24 AM8/21/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
in that case, i'll leave it to you. be advised that there is now a lib/commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar part of OJ CORE builds.

..ede

On 21.08.2013 15:54, Giuseppe Aruta wrote:
> Hi Ede,
> the issue was "Save Image to Raster" (which exports to TIF/TFW) tool of Sextante (Pirol) tools. Export to Tiff was not working as as OpenJDK has no support for Tiff.
> Before August, Stefan and I worked on an external plugin that would have used commons lib to substitute that plugin. The code is on SVN (http://sourceforge.net/p/jump-pilot/code/HEAD/tree/plug-ins/RasterLayerExport/)
> regards
> Peppe
>

> 2013/8/21 <edgar....@web.de <mailto:edgar....@web.de>>
> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com <mailto:openjum...@googlegroups.com> <mailto:openjum...@googlegroups.com <mailto:openjum...@googlegroups.com>>. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com> <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com <mailto:openjump-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
> > ---
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.

Stefan Steiniger

Aug 21, 2013, 10:38:39 AM8/21/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ede,

maybe a stupid question, but:
How does OJ now which library to use for reading? e.g. imageio or JAI
etc? Did you do a mapping?

stefan
stefan

edgar....@web.de

Aug 21, 2013, 10:48:34 AM8/21/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
actually: i don't know.
there seems to be an order e.g. tif always chooses GeoTiff reader, so i guess it is the order in which the readers are registered during startup? guess we will have to deal with it if we come accross a format that where the default reader isn't the one we prefer ;)

you can play with OpenJumpConfiguration.java around line 633 if you want to play with it.

..ede

Stefan Steiniger

Aug 21, 2013, 11:32:42 AM8/21/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
good - thanks for info!

cheers from the warm winter (feels more like spring now)
stefan

Giuseppe Aruta

Aug 22, 2013, 12:47:15 PM8/22/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ede,
I see it. We can get read of the jar commons-sanselan lib used  for the plugin.
Stefan, What do you think about? (I am still fighting against subvesive/subversion/eclipse!)
Peppe

edgar....@web.de

Aug 22, 2013, 12:48:03 PM8/22/13
On 22.08.2013 18:47, Giuseppe Aruta wrote:
> Stefan, What do you think about? (I am still fighting against
> subvesive/subversion/eclipse!)

hehe.. survival of the fittest ;) ..ede

Giuseppe Aruta

Aug 22, 2013, 1:39:59 PM8/22/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
ahahah

Stefan Steiniger

Aug 26, 2013, 12:13:05 PM8/26/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Actually,

sorry for responding late (my weekends converted into family days +
travel earlier). So, I did add Sanselan because
(a) I could not find a binary to download for the apache image-io (I got
asked for a password???)
(b) It seemed to me that sanselan was newer (but also with low activity)
than image-io.

Mhm, so don't know what is best?
But thanks ede, for taking care of.

cheers,
stefan

Am 22.08.13 12:47, schrieb Giuseppe Aruta:
> Hi Ede,
> I see it. We can get read of the jar commons-sanselan lib used for the
> plugin.
> Stefan, What do you think about? (I am still fighting against
> subvesive/subversion/eclipse!)
> Peppe
>

> 2013/8/21 <edgar....@web.de <mailto:edgar....@web.de>>
>
> in that case, i'll leave it to you. be advised that there is now a
> lib/commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar part of OJ CORE builds.
>
> ..ede
>
> On 21.08.2013 15:54, Giuseppe Aruta wrote:
> > Hi Ede,
> > the issue was "Save Image to Raster" (which exports to TIF/TFW)
> tool of Sextante (Pirol) tools. Export to Tiff was not working as
> as OpenJDK has no support for Tiff.
> > Before August, Stefan and I worked on an external plugin that
> would have used commons lib to substitute that plugin. The code is
> on SVN
> (http://sourceforge.net/p/jump-pilot/code/HEAD/tree/plug-ins/RasterLayerExport/)
> > regards
> > Peppe
> >

> > 2013/8/21 <edgar....@web.de <mailto:edgar....@web.de>
> <mailto:edgar....@web.de <mailto:edgar....@web.de>>>
> <mailto:edgar....@web.de>> <mailto:edgar....@web.de
> <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openjump-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:openjump-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openjump-users%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>>>. For
> more options, visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
> > > ---
> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to
> the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.
> > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
> emails from it, send an email to
> openjump-user...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openjump-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>
> <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openjump-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:openjump-users%252Buns...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openjump-users%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>>>.
> group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>. For more
> options, visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
> > ---
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.
> <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

Giuseppe Aruta

Aug 26, 2013, 3:12:19 PM8/26/13

    https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
     >     >
     >     >
     >     > --
     >     > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to
    the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send

    options, visit this group at
    https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
     >     > ---
     >     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
    Google Groups "openjump-users" group.
     >     > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
    from it, send an email to

     >     > For more options, visit
    https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

     >     --
    Google Groups "openjump-users" group.
     >     To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from

    > --

    <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>. For more
    options, visit this group at
    https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
    > ---
    > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.

    <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

    <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>. For more
    options, visit this group at
    https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
    ---
    Groups "openjump-users" group.

Groups "openjump-users" group.

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjump-users@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.

edgar....@web.de

Aug 26, 2013, 3:18:10 PM8/26/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
we already have 'commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar' in the svn under lib/
and
in the maven build (from http://repository.apache.org/snapshots).

simply include in your eclipse Build Path and you should be fine.

..ede
> [...]
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.
>

> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to openjum...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "openjump-users" group.

Stefan Steiniger

Aug 26, 2013, 3:21:28 PM8/26/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
thanks guys!

stefan

edgar....@web.de

Aug 26, 2013, 3:44:29 PM8/26/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
am still working on those image readers.. but i can already say that we will end up with
- jai_core, jai codec, jai_imageio (provide pure java JP2 support), commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
in OJ CORE. just to have all readily available readers at hand.
additionally i currently work on integrating into PLUS
https://github.com/geosolutions-it/imageio-ext/wiki
which will enable the GeoImage (ex GeoTiff) reader to open with an improved Tiff reader and even more formats including GDAL and ImageMagick formats provided the native libraries exist in lib/native

of course the new formats GeoTags will not be read read, so for the time being you will have to provide world files even formats that might be geotagged already.

..ede

Stefan Steiniger

Aug 26, 2013, 3:48:14 PM8/26/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
well. GDAL would be really nice addition! :)

stefan

edgar....@web.de

Aug 26, 2013, 3:57:04 PM8/26/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
pure serendipity.

i was just researching java image support (there are JAI,ImageIO,Commons-Imaging [exSanselan] and ImageJ [not checked yet]) when i stumbled over imageio-ext which provides plugins for the recent java image API ImageIO (the successor of JAI).
actually i only wanted to use their improved TIFF reader but discovered the whole plethora of formats they offer in the process.

..ede

Giuseppe Aruta

Aug 27, 2013, 2:25:41 AM8/27/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
+1 for this job. I like this idea to add gdal support
Peppe

Giuseppe Aruta

Aug 27, 2013, 6:14:39 AM8/27/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ede,
jai_imageio
Is the JP2 support only on reading?
thanks
Peppe

edgar....@web.de

Aug 27, 2013, 6:17:54 AM8/27/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
as far as i can see it should support writing. if that fails imageio-ext supports several ways to write JPEG2000 via GDAL or Kakadu. you'd need the native libs for that though.

..ede

edgar....@web.de

Aug 27, 2013, 7:06:07 AM8/27/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com

Giuseppe Aruta

Aug 27, 2013, 11:11:40 AM8/27/13
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ede,
which  jar file will you use for jai_imageio?
Peppe