Re: [openjump-users] Maps and Tutorial OpenJUMP and Inkscape - alternative using CAD

Giuseppe Aruta

Dec 1, 2012, 3:15:20 AM12/1/12
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anderi,
if you take time to define attributes and values (layer, text, color, etc) you can also export a GIS file to DXF (using Michael's DXF plugin) and use it on a CAD software, like LibreCAD. It could be a valid option as vector. It is longer work but really more efficient than SVG
a) Using attribute LAYER you can define different layers for CAD
b) The attrinute TEXT will save the text that a CAD software can read
c) TEXT_ROTATION will save the text rotation "A la" CAD stile
d) TEXT_HEIGHT can define text dimension
e) COLOR will save the original color of the CAD, it is alittle tricky: you must know the color table from a CAD (1=red, 2=yellow, etc) as basic attribute value
I added an option on my CADExtension plugin which helps user to work with a DXF file. All you need is, again, Michael DXF plugin (already included on OJ plus)
I invite you to make a test. Download CADExtension_04.jar from here    . Load a dxf on OJ view and select under Layer tree>Style. You will see  an extra option (Apply CAD style to layer) with two mesus: "Display labels and features with true colors" and "Display labeles and features in black".
Choose the 1st one and you will see that your project is magically colored and labeled as the original CAD (currently support only 8 basic CAD colors)
See on the attribute table the structure of the info (layer, color, txt, etc). Add a point on the view and add new values to this point at the attributes (TEXT, TEXT_ROTATION, TEXT_HEIGHT). You will see that the text appears on the vies. Add line features or and define values like color (see style windows for the values). Save the file as DXF and open it using a CAD software. All the modification you did are correctly opend by the CAD.
If you want to create a new CAD file, There is an option under FILE>NEW>CAD Layer.
I think that DXF could be a valid alternative to export file as a vector. There are still some issue that has to be solved
- actually DXF plugin import/export polygons as closed lines, it is not a problem on a CAD as user can set the fill, but it would be useful if we can have at least an option to "export" at leas basic OJ full fill (no way to import CAD fills or export OJ fills)
- point symbols or line decorations on export to DXF

regards

Giuseppe

2012/11/30 Andrei Nacu <andre...@yahoo.com>
The scaling problem for SVG exports only affects the Printer plug in. The Save View as SVG works fine, I checked it again. The project window view ratio is something like 1:0.8 x custom scale instead of 1:1 x custom scale. This is probably the reason why the Printer SVG export is 20% smaller than it should be.

I also use a bounding box (Fence) when I have to recompose different layers in Inkscape.

Nice map Stefan. I never tried Illustrator, but I know there's an application called Map Publisher that brings GIS capabilities to it.

BTW did you know that you can export maps as DXF's  from Inkscape? Afterwards you can import the DXF in OpenJUMP, scale (from Warping) and reposition it to match another dataset (with the snapping activated). It would be interesting to implement this with a single command, for example: "Scale and Reposition dataset to match an existing dataset extent".

Do you think the SVG engine can be improved so that topology would be preserved, regardless of the exporting scale?
I attached a screen shot with a dataset (vectorized from 1:200.000 scale maps) exported at scale 1:3.000.000.

Andrei

Dec 1, 2012, 7:22:10 AM12/1/12
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing the DXF & LibreCAD alternative. I will look into it and see what results can be obtained.

Cheers,
Andrei

I posted already these links to OpenJUMP-dev list but they have some
connections with this discussion, for example how OpenJUMP can be used for
adding OGR feature styles http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html
into shapefiles.
A tutorial
http://latuviitta.org/documents/Geospatial_PDF_maps_from_OSM_with_GDAL.pdf
A sample PDF map. The map should be viewed with Adobe Reader or otherwise
many advanced features will be missing.
http://latuviitta.org/documents/Advanced_geospatial_PDF_made_with_GDAL.pdf

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Giuseppe Aruta kirjoitti:
> Hi Anderi,
> if you take time to define attributes and values (layer, text, color, etc)
> you can also export a GIS file to DXF (using Michael's DXF plugin) and use
> it on a CAD software, like LibreCAD. It could be a valid option as vector.
> It is longer work but really more efficient than SVG
> a) Using attribute LAYER you can define different layers for CAD
> b) The attrinute TEXT will save the text that a CAD software can read
> c) TEXT_ROTATION will save the text rotation "A la" CAD stile
> d) TEXT_HEIGHT can define text dimension
> e) COLOR will save the original color of the CAD, it is alittle tricky:
> you
> must know the color table from a CAD (1=red, 2=yellow, etc) as basic
> attribute value
> I added an option on my CADExtension plugin which helps user to work with
> DXF file. All you need is, again, Michael DXF plugin (already included on
> OJ plus)
> I invite you to make a test. Download CADExtension_04.jar from here
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/opensit/files/Openjump/PlugIn/CADExtension/>
>> > group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
>> >
>> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>> > Google Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send
>> > email to openjum...@googlegroups.com
>> > group, send email to openjump-user...@googlegroups.com
>> > <mailto:openjump-users%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>. For more
>> > options, visit this group at
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/forum/openjump-users?hl=en
>> >

>> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups openjump-users group. To post to this group, send email to
>> > openjum...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send

Andrei Nacu

Dec 1, 2012, 2:23:53 PM12/1/12
to openjum...@googlegroups.com
I have a question. What is the difference between a DXF exported from OpenJUMP and a DXF exported from LibreCAD? I saved 2 datasets with identical attributes but I can only view in Inkscape (File->Open...DXF) the file exported from LibreCAD. What's missing in the OpenJUMP file?

My thinking is that as long as Inkscape has a DXF import/export tool, we can also use DXF files (with standard DXF attribute schema) instead of SVG for export. Another great advantage of DXF's is that you can export each layer and easily reassemble your map in Inkscape. With the SVG you need to transfer all map objects to newly-generated Inkscape layers, and this usually takes a lot of time.

Cheers,
Andrei

Can you help me please about how to install the openjump and the recent map to use.

kind regards,
NIgussie