Re: loading an image layer - and moving it in OpenJUMP

Stefan Steiniger

Sep 27, 2017, 10:59:00 AM9/27/17
to fabriziogrieco, openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fabrizio,

that's perhaps not the answer you want to hear ;)

So to keep an images position in the project, I think you would need to
geo-reference the image first so you would get an jwf (jpg world file) -
perhaps in QGIS. I am not sure how one can do it in OpenJUMP (i.e. is
there is an option to save the image after moving it). Therefore I send
a copy of this email to the OpenJUMP user list. Perhaps someone has an idea.

cheers,
Stefan

On 9/27/17 10:22, fabriziogrieco wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> sorry that I am back ... I have one more question. I am trying to
> import a PNG image that works as a background for the ranges. It is a
> simple PNG with the same size as the coordinates of the data points .
> I have found no way to align it with existing layers. When I make the
> image layer editable and move the image, I save the project, then the
> data set, but whatever I do the next time I open the project the
> picture is again below the other layers. Is there a solution for this?
> Thanks
> Best regards
>
> Fabrizio
>
> PS I attach an example of what I woanted to do.
>

> Stefan Steiniger schreef op 15/09/2017 16:08:
>> Hi Fabrizio,
>>
>> Yes I guess this the best way to ask someone about HoRae, apart from
>> the OpenJump user list.
>>
>> If I understand the error correctly you did not save the data loaded
>> from the csv file separately again, and therefore OJ does not know how
>> to handle the source. So I would ask you to (test first) load/import
>> the data from csv, and then use from the layer mouse menu the option
>> "save dataset as..." then use either shapefile or jml file format to
>> store the data.
>> Shapefile will allow you to import the data in any other GIS, if you
>> know and specify the coordinate system. The you can save the project,
>> and it should be able to load all data/layers. However, in the past I
>> actually had problems with raster-data sources (i.e. generate images
>> from OJ saved as geotiff) to be load back in,  but for vector data
>> this should not be happen.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Stefan
>>
>> Btw. Seeing that you have bird data: I am not sor sure in how far
>> Horae works for bird data, as the assumptions with respect to their
>> kind and character of movement are a bit different than for large
>> mammals. "Works" here in the meaning of "should/can be utilized"
>> rather "than data  can b handled/processed". But...
>>
>>> El 14-09-2017, a las 17:27, fabriziogrieco <fabrizi...@tele2.nl>
>>> escribió:
>>>
>>> Hi Stefan,
>>>
>>> My name is Fabrizio Grieco, I found your adress on the MediaWiki
>>> pages; I have a question about HoRAE which I installed yesterday
>>> (with openJUMP 1.7.1). I hope you can help.
>>>
>>> After succesful install, I could import a csv file with coordinates,
>>> make nice range diagrams, and saved the project file (jmp). When
>>> reopening the project, it gave an error message (see picture). The
>>> project was then empty. Do you perhaps have an idea of what may go
>>> wrong? I use windows 10. I tried with the source file (CSV) in
>>> different locations, even inside the project folder, but no luck.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> best regards
>>>
>>> fabrizio
>>>
>>> <Error.png>

Jukka Rahkonen

Sep 27, 2017, 11:05:32 AM9/27/17
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, fabriziogrieco
Hi,

Unfortunately I do not understand what did you do and what means "the
picture is again below the other layers". Maybe you sent on image for
clarification but it has been dropped.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Stefan Steiniger

Sep 27, 2017, 11:27:05 AM9/27/17
to openjum...@googlegroups.com, Jukka Rahkonen, fabriziogrieco
sorry here the picture.

I think below did mean literally "below", i.e. south
Background issue.png

Jukka Rahkonen

Sep 28, 2017, 8:32:16 AM9/28/17
to fabriziogrieco, Stefan Steiniger, openjum...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It is really possible to georeference images with OpenJUMP by editing
the image footpring polygon like you have done. However, that feature is
sort of experimental and seldom used. I would say that it does not work
really. I did manage to make the new location to stay after closing and
re-opening the project but is leads to some weird situation. I must
study that a bit more and create a bug report.

I would recommend to georeference the png with with a world file
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_file. You have a png file so write a
six-line long text file as

32.0 #pixel size west-east
0.0 #keep zero
0.0 #keep zero
-32.0 #pixel size north-south (negative)
691200.0 #top-left east/longitude coordinate
4576000.0 #top-left north/latitude coordinate.

Save as "image.pgw" if you have a png named as "image.png".
Do no trust Stefan, for jpeg image the extension would be .jgw.

I apologize that it is inconvenient. QGIS has a georeferenced which is
quite good oncy you know how to use it. You can save the result as
GeoTIFF and open it with OpenJUMP and then the image is located at the
correct place automatically.

-Jukka Rahkonen-